Incra Miter Gauge - Shop Made Stop

glenn bradley

On another forum (and maybe here too) folks were bemoaning the Incra Miter Gauge fence and that fact that it was slippery. These posts made me realize (again) how different we are and how differently we approach our work. What seems llike a good idea to one may seem like a waste of time to another. All that being said;

I solved my version of a few different problems reported by different folks. I did apply sandpaper to my miter gauge fence but, I also wanted a greater surface area so I turned it around:

Incra Stop Block 001.jpgIncra Stop Block 002.jpg

Another member (here?) had acquired some L-knob caps that fit the Incra hex head bolts and I was lucky enough to get some. This makes adjustment of the telescoping mechanism a lot less fussy:

Incra Stop Block 003.jpg

Some scrap ash and a visit to the jig parts drawer yielded a short piece of the Incra toothed plastic strip and a bolt, washer and knob:

Incra Stop Block 004.jpgIncra Stop Block 005.jpg

It goes together like so and when in use I still get the benefit of the 1/32" toothed reference strip when adjusting:

Incra Stop Block 006.jpgIncra Stop Block 007.jpg

P.s. No, I'm not advertising shedua. That is just the chalk mark from when the original longer boards were up in the rack. ;-)

Glenn you sure have solved some issues but here is another view. I dont have an Incra. Do wish i had but when i see what you done i am thinking to myself surely for the kind of money that we talk about for a custom add on to our machines, surely it should come with this issue solved. Especially the additonal support and the stop.:dunno:

Its like they only addressed a couple of issues and that is the accuracy of the angle and the slide in the T slot. Given its an add on it should in my view go all the way.

With having a sled how often is it that you use all the fancy angles available on these mitre gauges.

With having a sled how often is it that you use all the fancy angles available on these mitre gauges.

I have sleds for 90*, 45* frames and 45* bevels (for boxes). I use the miter gauge for all those other pesky angles which, in my shop, come around rarely ;-) There are some pricey Incras that come with various stops and so forth but, I don't use a miter gauge in a way that would make me spend big bucks on one. $50 or $60, yes; $150+, no.

The V-27 does what I require and until recently could be had for about $35 on sale (I picked up a second one for the router table as the miter slot adjustments are different enough to make "universal" use a problem. I bought the telescoping fence direct from Incra years ago for a very reasonable price but couldn't bring myself to spend $30+ on a stop :rolleyes:. I don't even remember how I came to have the spare piece of toothed stripping and it is not really necessary; I just happened to have it.

Rob, I've got one of the Incra miter thingamabobs.

It came with all the bells and whistles, flip stops, extenders, etc...

I've also got an incra fence on my router table and have plenty of spare parts.

That being said, for most things, I actually use a sled on the table saw...

You guys confirmed what i was getting at. Unless one has specific needs these things are not essential. I like Glenns approach. The lower cost version with some custom add ons. :thumb: