Client options

When I visit a client they need services that I provide. Why, because I have been referred by someone who has just sold them a new audio visual package or an upgrade to what they have and they need new housing for it or a modification to their existing. This qualifies the buyer financially as if they can afford AV products from these folks, they can afford Woodworking by Shaz. Since Sketch up is not a stength at this time I sketch out the options and worry about how to build them later.
View attachment 4260(See attachment below.) This is a recent submission to a fellow who wants a console under his wall mounted flat screen, to match existing. It is about 72" wide x24" deep and 32"-36" tall including the uba tuba rock top.
Shaz
"I gave him several options.":D

Attachments

• Steve resized 1 .jpg
    Steve resized 1 .jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Shaz, I think those drawings are great for an initial, "what sort of thing do you want?" sketch. You can work out exact details later. You could do this in SU quite quickly if you want but if you don't get any ideas from the client until you are face to face with them, perhpas the quick pencil sketch is best.

Once you get used to SU, you might do a drawing based upon the sketch they selected to give them a better idea of the look of the piece. This wouldn't include any joinery and might not even have as much detail as I put in that sketch for Bart.

After all the design details are worked out and agreed upon, you can take off with the construction details in SU or in whatever medium you choose.

One benefit to the SU drawing is that many people have a hard time translating a 2D view into 3D in their heads. The other thing that is handy with SU is that you can do quickie drawings of other furniture or walls and windows to give the piece some context and a size reference.

Shaz

I like the ones with the doors covering the equipment! A much cleaner look in my opinion.

Jay

Shaz, I think those drawings are great for an initial, "what sort of thing do you want?" sketch. You can work out exact details later. You could do this in SU quite quickly (That is one thing I would like to learn)if you want but if you don't get any ideas from the client until you are face to face with them, perhpas the quick pencil sketch is best.
Once you get used to SU, you might do a drawing based upon the sketch they selected to give them a better idea of the look of the piece. This wouldn't include any joinery and might not even have as much detail as I put in that sketch for Bart. I will have to see that one for Bart. Is that in a thread?

After all the design details are worked out and agreed upon, you can take off with the construction details in SU ( once the design is agreed upon I lay up an exact size inch for inch story pole, usually one each for the height, width and depth.)or in whatever medium you choose.

One benefit to the SU drawing is that many people have a hard time translating a 2D view into 3D in their heads. The other thing that is handy with SU is that you can do quickie drawings of other furniture or walls and windows to give the piece some context and a size reference. ( Rephrase:wave: " You can do quickies" but I am educatable, I think..:D ) I understand the concept and, believing you are right, would like to try to learn SU in what free time I have.
Hi Dave,
Thanks for your input. The drawings you see are the drawings I send to my clients. Once they receive this kind of rendering we talk to hone in on exactly what they need and what we might further modify to suit their needs. I can push out these renderings quickly and they give the artist
approach. Do you think a final presentation in SU would allow me to command a higher price? I like a higher price idea.:D :D :rofl: Show me the money!!:rofl: :rofl: Remember now, I am and artist first and a professional
after that.
Shaz

Could you command a higher price? I don't know. Perhaps. (How's that for an answer?) It might be that you could charge more but since your client isn't buying a drawing, I don't really know.

I don't know how you normally present to a client. I hesitate to say that using SU would give you a more professional air. I don't mean that at all. I do think that a more polished presentation has the potential to reflect positively on you. The combination of you and your presentation would work together.

I know a fellow here in town who is very good at his trade. He does a lot of finish carpentry. He did our basement, in fact. He is one of the lower priced fellows in the area. I think he could charge more for his services although he would need to change how he presents his ideas to his clients. He has a tendency to wave his hands and keep things kind of vague when he's describing what he plans to do. I think there are some folks who basically just trust him to do what they want but you kind of have to cross your fingers and hope that he and you are on the same wavelength.

The big benefit to SU is that you can make a sketch that is as loose as the sketches you show. You can quickly tighten up the sketch as details are agreed upon so that the final drawing you present to the client is as good as carved in stone. There should be no room for miscommunication and the client should not be unpleasantly surprised when you deliver the completed project.

I would imagine that you don't have much trouble with your client being unpleasantly surprised. But even one of them could be quite expensive. Of course you know that it is in your best interest to avoid those unpleasant surprises.

Please keep in mind that I am not trying to twist your arm or coerce you into using SU.

Dave

Shaz

I like the ones with the doors covering the equipment! A much cleaner look in my opinion.

Jay
Hi Jay,
I can understand your thoughts and were it not for the faceplate I would agree with you. With these shown photos, you can see the option my client has in mind :) . Always appreciate your opinion :thumb: .
Thanks, Shaz
kaplan3.jpg

kaplan 2.jpg

Could you command a higher price? I don't know. Perhaps. (How's that for an answer?) Vague, but there are no other options:rofl: Thanks:) It might be that you could charge more but since your client isn't buying a drawing, I don't really know.

I don't know how you normally present to a client. What you see in that drawing with 4 options is typical. I hesitate to say that using SU would give you a more professional air. I don't mean that at all. I do think that a more polished presentation has the potential to reflect positively on you. I don't know if I want to trick the client like that.:rofl: The combination of you and your presentation would work together. I understand what you are saying. Your sentiments remind me of advice my beloved parents gave me.

I know a fellow here in town who is very good at his trade. He does a lot of finish carpentry. He did our basement, in fact. He is one of the lower priced fellows in the area. I think he could charge more for his services although he would need to change how he presents his ideas to his clients. He has a tendency to wave his hands and keep things kind of vague when he's describing what he plans to do. I think there are some folks who basically just trust him to do what they want but you kind of have to cross your fingers and hope that he and you are on the same wavelength. I think that's right! At least for the first go around.

The big benefit to SU is that you can make a sketch that is as loose as the sketches you show. I like that...You can quickly tighten up the sketch as details are agreed upon so that the final drawing you present to the client is as good as carved in stone. That is good too. There should be no room for miscommunication and the client should not be unpleasantly surprised when you deliver the completed project.:eek:

I would imagine that you don't have much trouble with your client being unpleasantly surprised. But even one of them could be quite expensive. Of course you know that it is in your best interest to avoid those unpleasant surprises. Ahhh, well put David.

Please keep in mind that I am not trying to twist your arm or coerce you into using SU. Yes you are and I am suing for the reason that you are intending to help me learn something.:D :rofl: :rofl:

Dave
Hi Dave,
In seriousness, Marty mentioned SU and your name simultaneously numerous times with great respect. I am part of the trickle down. I want to learn SU but #*^&$ happens and not being too computer literate the obvious is not that easy to me, and maybe to some others too. Now, draw, that I can do. I believe in SU (sketch up) just don't know it yet.
Shaz

Shaz
Yeah,that is why they are called clients! You are paid to move their ideas into reality. Personally, I don't like to see all that electronic stuff hanging out, but in some instances I guess it is required.

Get the job!

Regarding SU. I can only speak from analogy with my experience in the consulting business.

We sold advice and ideas -- based on our experience-- the ultimate intangible.

So the presentation had to indicate the quality of those intangibles.

Great binders/power point presentations
VERY accurate proofreading of all materials
Typos were an absolute NO NO.
And of course there were the suits etc.

Therefore I would suggest that anything that reeks of quality (and is of course backed up by the real thing) will only enhance your ability to charge premium rates.

Jay

Hey Jay,
Once again thanks, your input is invaluable and I think the advice is top shelf. Maybe I should get a good haircut?:D Or would an almost good haircut suffice? :rofl: :rofl:
Shaz

As of today, my client has decided to go with #3 in the attached thumbnail in post# 1. Light birch or maple, lacquer finish, wheels, with a Uba Tuba top/ built up edge to 1 1/2" thickness.:wave:
Shaz

Shaz

Uba Tuba top Whoa! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: Very cool, multi-material multimedia center :D

That should be great, do you sub that out or is it the client's responsibility? Will there be a plywood backer to level out the bottom side inside of the edge buildup or will the edge be the bearing surface on the cabinet?

Congrats on the new commission, it will be fun to watch the project.

Jay

Shaz

Uba Tuba top Whoa! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: Very cool, multi-material multimedia center :D
do you sub that out or is it the client's responsibility? (in this case I have contacted the rock man, and got a price that was included in the cost estimate) Will there be a plywood backer to level out the bottom side inside of the edge buildup or will the edge be the bearing surface on the cabinet? (It could be done either way just as long as consideration for that 1 1/2" edge is accounted for) For example, with a kitchen cabinet, the rock is showing a 1 1/2" edge treatment
there is a 2" visible rail showing under that, we have to remember to either make the rail 2 3/4" or add a 3/4" deck top to a 2" rail,(Upon which the 3/4" rock would lay) because the top itself only adds 3/4" to the height, the built up edge is merely applied to the underside of the rock around the edge therefore hiding 3/4" of the cabinet behind it.Make any sense?:dunno:

Jay
Hi Jay, :wave:
Uba Tuba is evidently the name for a town where a stone quarry is and that rock will match his kitchen counters. Hopefully it will turn out well, it is kind of basic and contemporary but it is supposed to match his other stuff.
Thanks for checking in.:D
Shaz

Shaz

Yes I understand. I know Uba Tuba, it is a great looking piece of rock! This should be a fun project. What is the edge going to be? Straight with a slight break on the corners/edge to prevent chipping or a full bullnose?

Jay

Shaz

What is the edge going to be? Straight with a slight break on the corners/edge to prevent chipping or a full bullnose?

Jay
Hi Jay, :wave:
As you imagined they will just be breaking the corners with about a 1/8" roundover or a miniscule chamfer. I gave him several options that the rock company offers, top round over 1/2", full bullnose, chamfer top, chamfer top and bottom, ease the edge and so on but he went with that which matches his existing. Naturally.
Enjoy the weekend,
Shaz

So this is where we are...design number 3.jpg Design # 3.
This is the "look"the look.jpgthe look (1).jpgthe look (2).jpg
and this is the spacethe space.jpgit will fit into.
Choice for the rock's edge is # 6rock choice number 6.jpg and away we go...figure out how to build it, add the wheels and let's get started:thumb:

Hi Tod, :wave:
I am in total agreement with you, if it were for me. The 1 1/2" or even the 2" full bullnose would be my choice, however, you know that people will often skip the beautiful choice in order to match what they have.
I am not so much like that myself, I will wear that purple striped shirt with green and yellow plaid pants if I like it.:eek: :eek: :D :rofl: And think I look good to sombody too...
Shaz
Just can't seem to find that purple shirt! hmmm.... where did I put it???:rofl: