I'm gonna get a new tool...

Chuck Ellis

I have a 10 year old Craftsman 14.4V power screw driver/drill... it was part of a multiple piece set that had 2 batteries, the driver, a flashlight and I think another piece... one battery quite years ago... any other pieces I had have long disappeared, but I use the driver almost every day... lately the battery has not been holding a charge for more than a day... I went to Sears to get a new battery. They had one on the wall for about $25, but it turned out to be a redesign, so won't work in my driver... the girl looked up my battery on her computer and the older battery is $55 + shipping... it's cheaper to buy a new driver. It's really a shame too... I like this tool and was hoping to just get a battery and keep on chucking... :(

Any suggestions that won't break the bank??

It is one of our own who rebuilds.
Memory failing on who for the moment. :(

It's Jason Abel, and his website is here.

I've used his service for my DeWalt 14.4 batteries, and I'm very happy with the results. It's more expensive, but if you can afford it, get the high capacity cells. I have it on two of mine, and it really does increase working time by a lot. I'd guess at least 50% better run time.

Last edited:
I've had two Craftsman and one Makita battery rebuilt at the local Interstate Battery place. I'm very happy with the results.

Bob