larry merlau

hey had a thought:eek: yup i been thinkun after running across a previous piece i finished and didnt write down the mix for it i got to thinkun that perhaps we could start a recipe thread, of what we did and the coats and the final out come with a good close up to get the best color we can.. i am not tryun to copy "homesteads" idea here, just using his thoughts and my thoughts to get a base for some different color or finish approaches kinda complied into one spot.
what yu say sound logical or bad idea?

This would be a great idea. I absolutely have a tough time trying to keep track of the different finishes the guys mention. For someone that aint getting round to it as frequent as Allen:D I find that only when i actually do whatever it is that i see here do i learn. Just reading about it does not seem to help when it comes to finishes.

So a recipe place would be great.:thumb: I just cant add a thing to it. Except my use of wipe on poly:rofl::rofl:

I like it too. I run sample boards and generally only pick one final color. For all I know there may be a couple colors in there that would be helpful for someone else; or maybe even me at some future date. May as well share 'em.

well then we can start anytime either in a new thread or here i can change the title to reflect recipies and we can be off to the races.
some suggestions would be the sample board and the mix or steps to get there and possibly a pic of the piece to show final outcome..and don your 3part clear finish is one setup that can be shown as well, just have your wife take the pics your camara phone has some draw backs:)

Sounds cool Larry, I have formulas for this and that. I've saved a bunch over the years.
Faux wood gaining
Faux painting
Stainning Crackling

An assortment for various medal gilding acid application.

Larry, I thought this was the only woodworking site; i am not tryun to copy "homesteads" idea here, just using his thoughts and my thoughts to get a base for some different color or finish approaches kinda complied into one spot.

Ya no, when I do a search for a site I look to see the over all content, as the Lord if this is a good place. I either move on or drop my bag. So I am not sure who you were talking about {homesteads} Thats a good produce farm little ways from here where you can pick your own. LOL

dave i was referring to "homestead finishing" jeff jewitts site. a very well know finisher and supplier of quality products. we are just tryun tot help our group here in the search for a good finish and how someone got there.

cherry finish=curly cherry

this is what i used for this hutch
tn_hutch beading detail.jpg tn_hutch top detail.jpg
AFTER it was built and sanded to 220 i gave it a suntan of at least 3 days, protect yours from the birds:rolleyes: then i began the finishing.
i started with two coats of garnet shellac, shellac dries fast you can reapply another coat in hour in normal weather, to pop the figure, sanded flat then 2 more coats, scuff sanded 320,i waited at least a hour between the coats and over night wont hurt if your tired, then 4 coats gloss lacquer. scuff sanded between the first three, again another fast dryun finish and a hour between will be dry enough to scuff sand, after the fourth coat, scuff sanded with 600 to get a semi gloss, than rubbed with Mcquires rubbing compound and then two coats of rubbed in wax with 0000 steel wool .the idea of dave hawksford of using comet works great but i learned that after this project..this was started on a wknd and it was finished and delivered the following wknd..just the finish part.. had to rebuild a door in between that broke in the finish room..but that was another story!!!!

Last edited:
Larry can i ask you to edit your post and add in time. I dont mean the exact number of hours, but something like .....applied 1st coat of x,,,,,left it overnight or it dried in approx 4 hours ...then scuffedetc...then applied y and it took approx 40 minutes to reach point where i could put second coat etc. So had to leave it for a few days to dry and then came back and did z lfet it overnight to dry and then buffed.

When i see a finish like that which you show it looks like 2 weeks worth of work to me. I think there is value in know how long to expect it to take so if you an impatient character like me you set yourself up for the long walk rather than the sprint to the finish.:D In the words of the wise one Vaughn " Poor finishes are usually a result of impatience" But if one knows to be prepared for say 3 days solid or something like that then one sets one self up in advance.