NEXT!

Jeff Horton

firefly.jpg

Started this one for a client today. I will post some photos as I go along but I think everyone has a pretty good idea how I build them now. ;)

I have wanted to build a Baidarka for a long time. So I am kind of excited that I finally get to build one and the best part is I am getting paid to build it. Good thing too, I am out of space to store them all!

Last edited:
So whats the difference between a baidarka and a kayak? This one looks 'thinner' and lower to the water? :huh:

Post plenty of pics Jeff, I never get tired of seeing how you put these things together... :thumb: :thumb:

So whats the difference between a baidarka and a kayak?

From Wikpedia

"Baidarka is the name sometimes used for Aleutian style sea kayak. The word has its origins from early Russian settlers in Alaska. Baidarka builders who kept the tradition alive in the 20th century include Sergie Sovoroff.

A prominent feature of a baidarka is its forked bow (bifurcated bow). Very lightweight and maneuverable, it was made out of seal skin sewed only by Aleut women, over a frame made strictly of driftwood (since no trees grow in the Aleutian Islands), bone and sinew. It was treated as a living being by Aleut men (it was taboo for women to handle them)."

It is just a type of Kayak and if your really stretched it you could say it is an American style. ;) But that is a big stretch. They were known for the speed and rough water abilities but I think a lot of that had to do with the skills of the paddlers too.

This is sort of my interpretation of the Baidarka. I 'modernized' it to make it more acceptable to the average paddler. That is why I call it a Modern Baidarka. It's bigger and more comfortable than a traditional version.

Looks cool, Jeff. Is there a purpose for the forked bow?

To make men on internet forums 1,000's of years latter debate it's purpose endlessly.

Best guess is it was made to look like the fish they hunted(?) or lived around. Maybe for ceremonial or Religious reasons? No one really knows. The first one's looked like a Baleen Whales mouth. Just a V opening. Then it evolved or different region maybe had the one like I chose and it's more like a spawning salmon when they deform.

Bottom line... I dunno :dunno: