How big is too big...for a shop?

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
We're looking at a property in a couple of days with a small barn. Will probably have to partition some space and then figure out what to do with the rest.

attachment.php

attachment.php

We drove by it today and looks to be what we are looking for house wise. The previous owners were planning to run a horse boarding facility and it would work well for that, but we'd have to have someone do that part for us as my wife and I are already busy enough with our current jobs.

Attachments

• horsebarn.jpg
    horsebarn.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 99
  • horsebarn2.jpg
    horsebarn2.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 101
Section off what you think you will use for a shop. Just don't make permanent walls. Keep growing until you reach the other end.:thumb::thumb::thumb:
Wowser, that is a big facility! Is there acreage for people to ride? Could you rent out stalls where the owner had to take care of the horse? I'd be afraid of some that wouldn't show up to take care of it though, then you'd be right back in the place of providing that service. On second thought, keep it as all shop.:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang: Jim.

Not too big. Maybe you can add on later. :rofl:
Actually, it is great. Do what you want, where you want and still have room left for trucks and other boys toys.
No longer will you look at the occasional great deal on a honkin' huge piece of equipment and muse "boy, if I only had the room....". ;)
Whole place looks like a winner. I'm sure you will enjoy. :thumb:

For me, I think it'd be sectioned into a wood shop, a metal shop, a recording studio, and storage. Maybe, just maybe, it'd be enough room to hold all the stuff we've accumulated and can't seem to be able to let go. :rolleyes:

Looks just about right.:thumb::thumb:
As for horses put that silly notion out of your head now.:rofl::rofl::rofl:
You think woodworking is an expensive hobby,:doh::doh::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last edited:
+1 on what Vaughn said, I see one playroom after another.

Woodworking, finishing room, wood storage, boys den, metal working shop, welding shop, cnc shop, electronics/computer lab, video production lab, cut a hole in the roof and have a mini observatory,

Keep a few cows, horses etc.

BUY IT> that is if the price is right and fits your budget.

After that who would want to go to work:D

Darren my loml said without hesitation that that building isn't to big for a shop. So you got your answer and from a female at that! You do realize that before you know it you will have out grown it and be looking to expand.:wave:

if I ever had a piece of property that big, ever, and my wife said to me this afternoon, Saturday, what do you want for dinner, Id answer, Im going into the shop shortly, Ill see you Wednesday, maybe we can do lunch.

We're looking at a property in a couple of days with a small barn. Will probably have to partition some space and then figure out what to do with the rest.

If that is your idea of a small barn, then I shudder at what your idea of a big one would be... :eek:

Don't listen to those guys with drool running down their chests. YES a shop can be too big. You don't want to spend all your time walking from one end to the other.

Another option for the rest of the barn would be renting out storage space. Not mini-storage, I think that'd be a headache. Think about people who need off-season storage for their RVs or Boats.

Or whack a bunch of skylights in it and dig in that pool that your wife wants. Bingo, year round swimming. :rofl:

Or at least we know who is got the space to host the next Family WW'ing picnic and campout weekend. :p

. YES a shop can be too big. You don't want to spend all your time walking from one end to the other.

:p

dont know art........after installing a rather roomy sized shop, a nice spray area and finishing room, perhaps a clean storage room, and a fairly sized living/resting area, equipped with fridge, AC, bathroom, shower and flat screen, dont think its all too big.

Well, I haven't gotten my wife sold on it yet....yet.

She definitely does not want to board horses, which I thought might help off-set the mortgage since it's at the top of our budget, but it's a lot to take on.

My wife's uncle lives much further south and does a lot of building erection around our area. It might be a good opportunity for him to store some of his equipment there instead of hauling it all the way down to his place (and give me access to some heavy duty tools...tools that would help me dig and build a pool :D).

My thoughts are along the same as Vaughns. I do want to get more into metal working and my wife is wanting an office, so the building could serve many needs.

As much as I love owning/riding/using my horses, my experiences with horse people that "rent" stalls, is not positive. I have never done it, had a stall in a barn and kept a horse there for a few weeks. First of all, renting a stall to this type of people is, "they own the property and will use it as they see fit, after all they paid rent!". They smoke in the barns. Visit their horses once a month. Pay their bills sometimes. Litter. Steal. Visit at all times of day. Bring many people with them. Need a bathroom. Need a phone. Need feed storage. Need places to dump horse manure. They don't water their horses or they leave the water on. Their horse gets loose and gets hurt, they want you to pay. The list is endless. I would not base a mortgage payment on horse stall rent. My dad always said he could tell how the economy or the family was doing based on what was in the backyard. A horse for everyone, doing well. A horse or so, doing okay. No horses, times are tough. (this is for families in the sticks that always used to own a horse or two). Renting for equipment, sounds like a good idea. Any acreage with that set of buildings. Cause if you don't have a hundred or so acres to ride on, they will complain and leave when they find a place with accessable riding. Acreage for turnouts? Who will feed, water, clean, haul in feed, haul out manure, sweep, mow, rake, paint, buy troughs, buy insurance, buy electric, buy individual tack boxes so they don't steal from each other, provide parking and supervise general activities?

Australia has a tradition called 'men's sheds'. They are places for men to gather, fraternize and engage in activities of interest to that particular group. e.g. woodworking, watching sports on TV, playing cards, etc.
That building would be a perfect 'shed' for such gatherings. Of paramount importance, though, you would need several refrigerators for the beer. ;)
No wimmens allowed. :eek: