Curly Maple Vase

This curly maple was left over from a chunk that a new member of our turning club brought with him when he stopped in for some one-on-one lathe time back in March. Sure is some beautiful wood!

Turned green to finial thickness, then soaked in DNA (denatured alcohol), wrapped and allowed to dry and warp as it wanted. The blank was full of cracks before it was turned but because the wood was so full of curl - I had to give it a try!

Curly Vase v1.JPG Curly Vase v2.JPG Curly Vase v3.JPG Curly Vase v4.JPG

Maple, 7.25" high x 3.5" wide, CA applied to all cracks, sanded to 800 grit and has several coats of wipe-on gloss poly. Will wait for a week or so and then buff it out and apply some Renaissance wax.

As always, comments, opinions and critiques are welcomed!

Thanks for looking! :wave:

It's about time you dropped by, Steve. :D Hadn't seen you around for a while.

I really like this hollow form. It looks bigger in the pics than the dimensions you gave. Great piece of wood, and well done on the turning and finishing. Critique-wise, I think the only thing I'd change would be the transition into the foot. I think I'd prefer seeing the curve of the vessel continue to the foot instead of the slight curve reversal right at the bottom. But that's wearing the extra-strength nitpick glasses. :p ;) Great work. :thumb:

Now...don't be such a stranger. :wave:

Thanks for the kind words!

Vaughn - you have a good eye when it comes to forms! I agree with keeping the curve running all the way past the foot - but in this case I gave it a very slight flair just to give the piece some stability. I did think about turning the foot into a point and then making a stand for it - but that sure seemed like a lot more work than I wanted at the time!

Steve, that is just very nice. I'm one of these that really likes the cracks in pieces like this as it emphasis's your skill in how difficult it is to turn without blowing it up.
Very nice!

Tom