Which router for hobbyist?

John Jussel

I'm looking to get my first router. I haven't really started reading any reviews yet but I thought I'd start here first in my research. I am a hobbyist woodcarver and I would like to start making my own bases for my carvings. I would prefer using hardwoods for my bases (oak, walnut, etc.). So, in your opinion what are some good decent routers for the occasional hobbyist? I should say I want the router to be a plunge router for doing some relief carving too. Should I be thinking of a router table also? If so, any advise on the tables? Do some manufacturers sell a router with a table? Keep in mind I've never owned a router. Only woodworking power tools I own are a 14" bandsaw, 6" jointer, belt/palm sanders, skil saw and way too many carving tools. I know what you're thinking where is his table saw, well that is on my wish list.

Thanks,

John

I, like Don, have a plunge and fixed based router setup (porter cable 690). These give a lot of versatility and can get after market bases and tables for. I don't think my model is made anymore though.

One think you'll want to research is bits. For doing rough outs for carving, an up or down spiral bit is great for cutting elevations in your work prior to doing any carving work on the piece.

I've got the same router Milwaukee 5615-24 as Don. I actually have two. When I make dovetails using my jig I set them both up so I don't have to change bits. I got mine at Amazon for around 100 also.

I have an ancient PC I inherited, probably older than me if you can believe that. :eek:
But, I purchased a Skil plunge model after reading reviews. It got highest ratings in all categories, especially ergonomics. I bought mine used off eBay for $25.00, including shipping. But they are available new for around $100.00.
Admittedly, it is not a heavy duty unit designed for frequent use over a period of many years. That is the trade off. But, at $100.00 and five or more years of use, you can buy a later model for another $100.00 or so. Worth considering for what you describe.

I was always told that if you're only going to have one router, make it a plunge. It still took me to my fourth router to follow that advice so you are ahead of the curve. I will add another vote for Milwaukee. Since I got my first one and felt for myself the difference in quality and operation, I have bought three other Milwaukees.

The 5615-24 combo is an excellent small router and the body grip is hard to beat for detail work. The bases are interchangeable with the 5616-24 which has variable speed and more power. I have a couple 5615's, 5616's and a 5625 in the router table. With the exception of the 5625 which is in a lift, all the motors and bases are interchangeable which allows me a great deal of flexibility.

If I was starting out and wanted to start small the 5615-24 combo would be hard to beat for initial value and future expandibility. I also have or have had Bosch, DeWalt, Porter-Cable, Ryobi, Triton and C-man's.

I wouldn't rule this out Makita RF1101KIT2 2-1/4 HP Plunge & Fix Base Router Kit
A bit more than the Milwaukee But IMO 4 times the router.:thumb:
Of course if I was in the new router market it would be a Festool OF 1400 EQ Router. But I all ready have one and you are looking for a reliable entry level router.:thumb::thumb:

I also have the Makita RF1101KIT2 2-1/4 HP Plunge & Fix Base Router Kit that Chuck mentioned. I use it in my router table. It works fine as long as I take small cuts. I've had it about 10 years and haven't had any problems. It was the only router I had for a long time. I got tired of taking it out of the table to use in the other base.

Which router for hobbyist

I have about 6 routers and my two favorite's are both bosch,you can't bog those suckers down.One is in a table and I use the other one uses off the table.You can run it all day without hardly any strain on the arms.But just IMO get the best you can afford,you won't regret it in the long run.

I have four routers; PC 690 Hitachi M12, Hitachi M8 and a Milwaukee 5625 big router in my router lift in the table. I have to say, without a doubt that the Milwaukee is the best built unit, fit and finish the best and it runs very smooth too, nice solid feel. Time will tell I guess, but I would not hesitate to buy another Milwaukee router :thumb: