Canoe reskin

Drew can you remember the make of your bits you used? As for my booboo it was blowing out the side of my nicely shaped plane tote when i drilled it for the hold down screw.:(

Sure Rob They are Can wood bits. I still have them in their original packaging. Here is what they look like after 15 yrs.

Attachments

• Bead and cove bits 007.JPG
    Bead and cove bits 007.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Bead and cove bits 008.JPG
    Bead and cove bits 008.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Bead and cove bits 009.JPG
    Bead and cove bits 009.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 7
Ok I thought this would be an easy night with coming home and getting right at the canoe. Well I guess a drip of epoxy got into the new PC orbital sander when it fell on the floor last night and glued it real good. :eek:It took the good part of an hr to take it all apart and un stick it. :doh:After that the patches were sanded and put the coat of epoxy on. :thumb:Might have some spots to touch up tomorrow then wet sand the entire thing again. Then I get to flip it over to start the gunwalls and decks.

Attachments

• Canoe 005 - Copy.JPG
    Canoe 005 - Copy.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Canoe 003 - Copy.JPG
    Canoe 003 - Copy.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Canoe 001 - Copy.JPG
    Canoe 001 - Copy.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 14
Oh, I wish we were allowed to use expletives, or characters resembling them on this site because that is just really looking very nice. So nice that I'm almost driven to use them ... :thumb:

I wish my project list wasn't so backed up because I would love to build one of those.... :thumb:

Oh, I wish we were allowed to use expletives, or characters resembling them on this site because that is just really looking very nice. So nice that I'm almost driven to use them ... :thumb:

I wish my project list wasn't so backed up because I would love to build one of those.... :thumb:

Thanks Brent. I have lots on the go too but this just had to be done. The kayaks have been in the wings for 3 yrs now and now that the kids are gone and i have the extra time. It has found its way to the front of the list. :thumb:

Certainly is looking good, I'm sure you are very happy you are getting around to this, as the amount of time and effort you put into building it in the first place would be sort of wasted if you just let it sit and rot.

I'm sure you can't wait until that first paddle!

Thanks Rob. Well day 3 of the glassing and after switching back to the palm sander I finally have the results that I wanted.:thumb: Personal note use a palm sander and leave the orbital on the shelf. :doh: I also noticed a small spot on one end where it didn't get sanded right. another :doh:. Oh well it just adds character to the craft. ( this is what you get for rushing). Also I took a pic of the big spot with filler that is hardly noticable after the glass is on. Tomorrow I start the gunwalls.

Attachments

• Canoe day 3 001 - Copy.JPG
    Canoe day 3 001 - Copy.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Canoe day 3 003 - Copy.JPG
    Canoe day 3 003 - Copy.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Canoe day 3 006 - Copy.JPG
    Canoe day 3 006 - Copy.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Canoe day 3 008 - Copy.JPG
    Canoe day 3 008 - Copy.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Canoe day 3 009.JPG
    Canoe day 3 009.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 15
Thats not even the finish gloss coat yet Stu. I still have to wet sand it with 400 grit and 600 grit wet and dry and then put the uv clear coat on. Once I get the gunswalls and decks on. Then I have to get the seats back in and the center thwart.

Today was getting the gunwalls ready and doing the scarf joint so that I can make 9 ft oak 3/4x7/8 into 18 ft long pieces. I set up a really simple jig for the cuts and though they are off a little it didn't really matter much as when they meet it is the exact same angle that matters. Just doing a dry fit before the glue up. I still have drain slots to put in the inside gunwalls so that water will drain out easier when it is turned on it's side. Still toying with doing the decks in cherry. I reluctantly have resigned the fact that this will not be ready for sunday no matter how much I want it. Oh well there will be next year.

Attachments

• Scarf joint 012 - Copy.JPG
    Scarf joint 012 - Copy.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Scarf joint 011 - Copy.JPG
    Scarf joint 011 - Copy.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Scarf joint 009 - Copy.JPG
    Scarf joint 009 - Copy.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Scarf joint 006 - Copy.JPG
    Scarf joint 006 - Copy.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Scarf joint 004 - Copy.JPG
    Scarf joint 004 - Copy.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Scarf joint 002 - Copy.JPG
    Scarf joint 002 - Copy.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Scarf joint 001 - Copy.JPG
    Scarf joint 001 - Copy.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 14
Well it has been awhile since I have had something to update about as I have been pretty busy with moving my computer up into my son's old bed room ( my new office):thumb: Well have done some work on getting the gunwales done. I went out and bought a pile of cheap clamps 4 for $2.00 but theyt turned out to be too small for the task. So i went with the second option for cheap clamps and used some 2" ABS piping (works great) :thumb: now some sanding and they are almost ready to glue up. Then it will be trimming and gluing to the canoe. Oh and on the score sheet, They were throwing out some floresent lights at work the older T8's so I snagged a couple for the shop. They have a mirror refector in them and weigh a ton to install by ones self ( but it can be done with minor swearing:eek:) Also while looking for clamps I stumbled across a bowl tool rest for my lathe that was reduced in price. :thumb:

Attachments

• Canoe gunwale 018.JPG
    Canoe gunwale 018.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 15
  • Canoe gunwale 013.JPG
    Canoe gunwale 013.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Canoe gunwale 009.JPG
    Canoe gunwale 009.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 20
  • Canoe gunwale 010.JPG
    Canoe gunwale 010.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 17
  • Canoe gunwale 011.JPG
    Canoe gunwale 011.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 17
The ABS pipe clamps looks like a slick idea. I'll have to stash that away in the bag 'o tricks. ;) And congrats on the new lights. :thumb:

It is a way of making some clamps when you need more than you have. Of course I wouldn't be needing them if I had not messed up with the router. I was routing out the slots in the gunwales when it grabbed and ate more than it should have so I had to re-design how I went about it. I was looking at doing something different anyways this time around. So I had a choice of teak, mahogany or cherry to use. The teak would have added way too much weight, Mahogany I didn't have enough of so it ended up being cherry. I used a forstner bit ( 1/2 inch) and drilled out 1/2 by 7/8 cherry making 4 inch strips then used a 1/2 inch sanding drum in the drill press to clean them up. clamp them to the 3/8 oak gumwale and I will be routing them after glue up with a small roundover to cut the sharp edge then tapered at the ends. I will also add some cherry into the decks to spruce things up a bit too. The outside gumwales will be solid oak tapered at the ends.

It seems like a long time since I posted pics on the canoe so I just took a few to post. The pipe clamps worked good for the glue up of the inner gunwales but I needed better ones for the glue up of the gunwals to the hull. Lucky our local canadian Tire store had a sale at just the right time. :thumb: 3 bucks a clamp and I needed a few, but then again you can never have enough clamps. :thumb: I did the glue up of the inner gunwales last night ( sorry no picks as I was exhasted from the heat and forgot to take any) I have decided to speed the whole thing up and try to recycle some of the old decks and seats. The center thwart has to be re done as does one seat. I glued up the decks tonight and have done a dry clamp of the outer gunwale just to get an idea of how it is going to look. This will just be screwed on as it will take the most punishment and will have to be replaced again. I have to carve out and shape the new thwart and then shorten the old front seat to use as the back seat and make a new front seat. I have been looking for brass threaded rob but if I can't find it I will use some stainless carraige bolts to hang the seats and the thwart. I just want my shop back at this time. I have noticed that the inside needs some looking at too but that can be a winter project.

Attachments

• dragon boats, birthday, canoe 118.JPG
    dragon boats, birthday, canoe 118.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 15
  • dragon boats, birthday, canoe 117.JPG
    dragon boats, birthday, canoe 117.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 13
  • dragon boats, birthday, canoe 116.JPG
    dragon boats, birthday, canoe 116.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 13
  • dragon boats, birthday, canoe 115.JPG
    dragon boats, birthday, canoe 115.JPG