bandsaw goes down for the 8 count

allen levine

I received the replacement part, with a pin, so my son came over today, and within 5 minutes had the new part on but ofcourse, Im not that lucky.
The tension lever was sort of loose, not stiff, so I decided maybe I need to try to put some tension on it and raise it. No go.
The lever would not move, and I dare not force it.
My son said lets take this thing apart, down to the last pin if we have too.
Now. Its not that I dont trust him, but since hes been 2, hes always loved taking things apart, and not always figures out how to put them back together. but the thought of paying someone to pick it up and repair it, and then deliver it back, well, ok, kid, heres a wrench.
And he took it apart, and as we took out each pin or screw, little black pieces of metal starting falling onto the table surface. Uh oh, not a good sign I thought.
Sure enough, the gear inside that the tension lever hooks into, had broken teeth, and that was that. That was the reason the lever wouldnt catch and move the wheel. Not sure if the gear broke first or the piece holding the lever that cracked broke first. Maybe they broke the same time.
Regardless, new part will be ordered with pin, less than 10 bucks, but I wont be putting it back together for at least 2-3 weeks.
Rented a house in the country with the bride, and were taking a rest. No computers, no work. No woodworking. Nothing exciting. If we dont kill each other, Ill put the machine back together in a few weeks.
No chair leg templates this week. Ill work on adirondack chairs and some cutting boards to fill in the time.

Attachments

• bed 550 (Medium).jpg
    bed 550 (Medium).jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 68
  • bed 553 (Medium).jpg
    bed 553 (Medium).jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 65
Oh Boy, looks like you got your hands full....

I've always loved taking things apart, but have found that putting them together again is usually more difficult....

To wit, I'm taking apart my 87' pathfinder dash, a 1997 Honda BF50 outboard as we speak... So hopefully we can both get them ripped apart, fixed and put together.

I feel for you Allen....

...Rented a house in the country with the bride, and were taking a rest. No computers, no work. No woodworking. Nothing exciting. If we dont kill each other, Ill put the machine back together in a few weeks...

Sounds like a great plan. You deserve a rest. ;) Sorry to see the bandsaw is still on the DL, but it'll be back in the game soon enough.

If you end up with a pull starter rope coming out of the dash, it means you did something wrong. :p

I only wish I had the video of Sharon driving the inflatable dinghy one day. She managed to get it to do a vertical 180. The little 4hp 4stroke Honda make some really cool sounds until it got some water in the intake!

I did manage to repair that little motor...

But more importantly, Sharon only suffered from muddy shoes!

Hope you're not like me. I'm always more efficient when I put things back together. Always have left over parts. I rebuilt a Chevy Turbo 350 trans in Jr College as part of my class work. Can't remember, but I think it was the 3rd or 4th try before I got it together with out any extra parts. :wave: :rofl::rofl::rofl: It worked great! Jim.

well, maybe Ill see some deer on the property.

Im going to look at an old woodworking vise later this morning. Thats exciting.
My bride is in Atlantic City, so Ive got nothing but time today, so Ill spend it driving around the 5 boroughs looking at woodworking equipment. Maybe Ill stop in Mr. Moscowitzs' place and get me a stone or two.(and I really need a new flush/trim saw)

Last edited:
The little digital camera is an official shop tool as far as I'm concerned.

Taking a 'before' picture has saved me more time than I care to count. :thumb:

my son tells me not to worry, he has it all under control. I had to have his mother bribe him here yesterday with a meatball and baked ziti dinner.
Dont know what Ill use to get him over here again.

it was a bit tricky getting all the pieces exactly right, but its running better now than it ever did.
Back in business.

(I gotta send a big kudos to WMH group for getting the parts to me in 2 days)

Last edited:
I was very impressed with my son and his mechanical ability.
He carefully examined each piece to make sure everything was sitting right.
When we were finished, he watched me tension and track the blade, and after I cut some curves and semicircles, he said, it was nothing.

The band saw, forgetting about the motor, is a pretty uncomplicated machine.
I think I would have figured it out eventually.