potpourri bowl

made this yesterday. It's some spalted maple from MI.:D. This one goes to the wife as does most of the first pices i make. She picked out this top just for her. She is making her own potpourri for the inside. She wanted to be able to be part of this as we will be sending these to our family for christmas.
All comments welcome as always.
Steve

Attachments

• 002 [800x600].JPG
    002 [800x600].JPG
    120 KB · Views: 43
  • 004 [800x600].JPG
    004 [800x600].JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 005 [800x600].JPG
    005 [800x600].JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 32
Nicely done, Sir.
Please tell me more about this piece.
What are the dimensions and how did you finish it? Did you hollow the entire inside?
I really like this piece.
Thanks you for sharing:thumb:

dats twat yuz get when yur prolific like rabits:rofl::rofl:
Well bud your gonna have to talk to my mom as my dad has been gone since 1995.:rofl:

thank ya Carol

Nicely done, Sir.
Please tell me more about this piece.
What are the dimensions and how did you finish it? Did you hollow the entire inside?
I really like this piece.
Thanks you for sharing:thumb:
First off there's no sirs here only Steve.:rofl:
The piece is 5 3/4x 2 1/2. the finish is just sanded to 400, tripple E than 2 coats of seni gloss sanding sealer, nocked down with 000 steel wool. yes i hollowed the inside to about 1/4" to 3/16. Getting better at being consistent but not there yet.:(. probobly buff it out in about a week after it has a chance to cure.

Looks real nice, Steve. :thumb: LOYL picked a good lid, too. :clap: That lid, the iris lid, and the hummingbird lid like it are my favorite styles. They have a smooth circle for the outside edge, and they look nicer on the finished piece in my opinion.

... yes i hollowed the inside to about 1/4" to 3/16. Getting better at being consistent but not there yet...

Potpourri bowls are great for hollowing practice since they have a bigger opening than a typical hollow form, but a similar shape. By the time your Christmas gift making is done, I'll bet it'll be a lot easier. ;)

That is a beauty Stephan. I really like that wood. Form is great.
thanks. Larry brought me some wood for babysitting them big chocolate slabs for Vaughn and Carol.Still have a bunch of it.:D

Looks real nice, Steve. :thumb: LOYL picked a good lid, too. :clap: That lid, the iris lid, and the hummingbird lid like it are my favorite styles. They have a smooth circle for the outside edge, and they look nicer on the finished piece in my opinion.

Potpourri bowls are great for hollowing practice since they have a bigger opening than a typical hollow form, but a similar shape. By the time your Christmas gift making is done, I'll bet it'll be a lot easier. ;)
i hope to get better real fast, as i have a big pic of chocolate on the lathe right now.:D
:rofl:

Attachments

• 005 [800x600].JPG
    005 [800x600].JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 002 [800x600].JPG
    002 [800x600].JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Nice Potpourri Bowl. They are a lot of fun to make. So many differant shapes that can be used. And like you said good inside hollowing pratice.
Dennis