My first refinishing job, complete!

allen levine

While I was sweating away this morning finishing up a board I was making, a neighbor from the other end of the block stopped by to visit me.
It really wasnt a visit, he wanted to ask me about refinishing the rail on the babys crib. he is about to have another baby, and the first kid chewed up the top rail of the crib and he wanted to ask me if I could or knew someone who could refinish it.
He called the crib company, they wanted something like 200 for the piece, the entire crib/bed cost 400.
I told him I really didnt know anyone local, and Im not sure how to refinish things.
15 minutes later, I shut down and walked over to his house, because I didnt want him to think I was shrugging him off.
It wasnt that bad, some little teething marks, but I handled it right there.
We discussed buying a plastic teething guard for crib rails instead of trying to refinish this piece, which he wont use after the new kid gets bigger.
12.99 and now the new kid can bite away. Customer is thrilled.(it counts if the customer is happy, right?)

Last edited:
yeah, you woodworkers complicate all the simple stuff.
duct taping the kid down so he couldnt stand up and chew the rail sounded a bit harsh, but the teething pad made sense.

Well, there's always pepper spray. (On the rail, not the kid). The little curtain-climber would only chew it once. :p