G&G Pic Frame #2

glenn bradley

There are only 155 days left till Christmas and my scrap pile is getting smaller as I work through some gifts:

Pic Frm Lg scrap pile smaller.jpg

This is a dry fit of the rough components ready for the hand work; sanding, pegs and any other details. This is just to give you the idea of where I am going:

a-Pic Frm Lg rough o-view-1.jpg

Sketch Up is great for giving your measurements a quick sanity check:

frame-2-skp-sm.jpg

The Mortise Pal earns it's keep again on these:

b-Pic Frm Lg mort.jpg

I use a wheel gauge to mark the tenons:

c-Pic Frm Lg mark tenon.jpg

I use a small sub-base/fence that I built for my smaller bandsaw to rough in the tenons. I clean up the shoulders and round them to match the mortises with a butt chisel when they are this small:

d-Pic Frm Lg rough  tenon.jpg

I use the router table, fence and stops to make the pierced details:

e-Pic Frm Lg pierce.jpg

A 1/4" MDF template in a jig for the cloud lifts:

f-Pic Frm Lg template.jpg

Here's a little detail shot of the varying elevations. You can see the parts for a cherry version in the background:

g-Pic Frm Lg end det.jpg

And another view from a little further back:

h-Pic Frm Lg o-view-2.jpg

This weekend I'm having a garage sale so I won't get back to these till next week. Steps to go include hand shaping/sanding, pegs for the tenons and rabbeting out the back for the glass/pic/backer-board. Once I have a few prepared I will start the finishing as I go.

Last edited:
what size is the piercingings?

They are 1/4" by 2" long top and bottom, 3" long in the middle. I got to try out a new 1/4" spiral by Whiteside that uses a long 1/2" shank and an extended 1/4" neck prior to the spiral beginning.

The design compensates for the loss of reach you get when using jigs. Granted it was brand new but, it did do a very clean job with no sign of chatter that I sometimes get with 1/4" collet bits.

I'm always trying to do something different to help my learning curve. I wanted to add a bracket to this picture frame design but wanted something that would fit in with the G&G feel.

pic frame-GnG-Walnut-Bracket 1.jpg

The "tabs" on the scrollwork are chiseled down thinner than the rest of the piece to control what I think of as the "elevation" in relationship to the other surfaces. I'm pretty sure I picked up that thought pattern from Darrell Peart. Any of you not familiar with Darrell really ought to check out his stuff; just fantastic.

pic frame-GnG-Walnut-Bracket 2.jpg

I don't really care how perfect the tabs are as I mark around them as if marking for DT tails and chisel out a receiving mortise.

pic frame-GnG-Walnut-Bracket 3.jpg

Once the BLO cures I will shellac most of the piece and then glue the scrollwork in place. Final topcoat comes after that. It will end up sorta like this.

pic frame-GnG-Walnut-Bracket 4.jpg

nice looking details glenn and you go ahead and make those forms, they pay for the new tools in the future:thumb::thumb: dont listen to the harrasment form the other part of CA:rofl:

Yeah Vaughn you have a point, but i think its because he cleans up before an after every shot. I can barely see an ounce of sawdust in his pictures. Looks like hes got the fairys so well organized to carry it away.:D:rofl:

That detail in the frame is excellent Glenn. Not too much and not too little. ;):thumb: