A couple of pieces.

Alan Trout

Hey guys, I know I don't post much but here are a couple of pieces. I am not very good at taking photos so I never feel like doing it. I feel that the photos do not represent the pieces well so I tend to procrastinate. I posted these on another forum so some of you may have seen them. One is the lidded hollow form which I am going to give to my wife for her birthday this Sunday. It is a piece of Claro Walnut with hard maple finial and base. The finish is CA for the body and satin gel poly for the final and base. I was wanting not only the contrast of the wood but also of the finish. It is about 7 1/2" across and about 12 3/4" high. The other is a bowl I finished last year. It is a mesquite root ball with the worm holes and bark inclusions filled with resin and pigments. This is one of my favorites. I really like the colors of the wood and the resin combined. The finish is in lacquer wet sanded, buffed, and hand polished. It is about 9 1/2" in diameter and about 4 inches deep.

Thanks for looking

Alan

Attachments

• Pic 1.jpg
    Pic 1.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 39
  • Bowl 1.jpg
    Bowl 1.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Bowl 3.jpg
    Bowl 3.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 33
I think the bowl with the inserts is great. Has a sort of Indiana Jones lost jewel kind of feel to it. As if some earth precious stone got mixed in with the wood somewhere in its natural making. :thumb: What i think really makes it is the color mix between the finish you got on the wood and the inclusion filler.

really nice pieces.:thumb: I love making the lidded hollow forms, like Larry said the finial looks to me it needs to to a tad bit smaller for this piece. great looking top just to me a little big. now i no how pics on this interwab make some thing look bigger than they really are.I'm sure the wife is gonna love it.That's what counts.
Steve

Alan,
Great pieces, both of them... but I especially like the filled bowl... what kind of resin did you use. I've tried filling a couple of pieces and it never looks good to me... it just doesn't come out the way yours did.