Old Books.....

Rob Keeble

Just looking for opinions and views.

I have a bunch of old technology, physics all sorts of books, well they old by virtue of technology or the subject has moved on. These are very good resources for basics in all sorts of subjects.

Now loml says they should go. We are on an anti hording campaign at present.

Whats your view on old books. I find it very hard to think of throwing out old books of any kind but i am trying to be real. I like books, runs in my family but i aint looked at any of these for donkeys years and dont have them in my bookshelf due to space.

So whats your view? Not looking for ammunition, just outlooks to think about.

Rob,
I guess you and I are alike in this category... I hate to get rid of any book no matter how old and out dated.... I used to collect hardbound novels for my library... still have over a hundred on the shelves in my study... when we moved back from Tucson, I thought I was being smart, I laid the shelves on their side, then stacked boxes of books inside down one side of the truck... I think there was about 20 or 30 boxes between my wife and I.... the truck had about a 10 degree list the whole way back from Tucson...

In my closet in my study, I still have several of my college text books that I kept... almost could be a candidate for the TV show, "hoarding, buried alive" :rofl::rofl:

with the access to the internet and the lack of use of these rob part with those that you havent seen in years,, if you havnt by now you wont later.. it will be easier on both of you when they are gone,,

I did the same about 4 years ago, mostly work related books such as process engineering, pipe design and such. I don't regret it as it made room for the purchase of more books (mosly woodworking). So don't think it as downsizing, but more as maintaining a certain limit and having your libriary reflect your current interests. By the way, I dropped them off at my favorite local used bookstore here and they gave me cash or credit for them. Every once in while, I see one of my books as I am browsing for some new ones to take the space of the old ones.

Rob,

1- you could offer them on freecycle
2- you could offer them on kijiji
3- you could offer them to local used book stores

4- and then out to the curb...

listen to your wife, dump them.

I had cartons of old books, and it cost me hours and hours and alot of gas money trying to give them away. never again.

Last edited:
listen to your wife, dump them.

I had cartons of old books, and it cost me hours and hours and alot of gas money trying to give them away. never again.

Actually, we have a huge warehouse of a used book store here in Knoxville... they will buy books of all sorts... those they don't buy, they have large boxes out front that you can dump into and people go through and claim any they think they like, then bring them back and try to sell them again and the cycle goes on..

Care to list titles here and see if anyone can use them for the cost of shipping?

Then to the used book store, or charity store like Goodwill.

My father used to work for GE as an engineering resource guy... he would get the lab/workspace/office outfitted for whatever the current project was that they were working on. His job was to coordinate between the engineer/spec list and the bean counters, while getting the trades to do the work. He kept All sorts of old manuals around his office and eventually at home... we're finally convincing him that he can part with them...

We're also dealing with my grandfather's house which is far from 'full' of books, but has a significant amount to go through. His fishing and hunting books are going to the appropriate club he used to be a member of, I'm hoping that they can use them, if not, the library at the community we all loved to go to is going to get a visit and a bunch of donations.

If you've stored them for more than 6 years, (round number) they're woefully out of date and are not going to use them. donate and/or freecycle them.

Maybe I can stabilize and turn them. :rofl:

Our local library has a very active Friends of the Library club that collects books and has sales a couple times a year. Some good bargains are to be found and they make quite a bit of money from it.

Thanks for all the input folks. Lots of good ideas here. Will have to give some thought to various ways to go. Appreciate the help. One things for sure they aint staying around. :):thumb: