Drill Press Restoration and ?

Dan Mosley

Came across a drill press today that a guy was selling for $50.00, so not that I needed it but I couldn't resist the price and bought it. Now home and in the garage (see pictures below). It had been sitting and has rust all over in different places - most things frozen up on it but its all there....
Near as i can tell it is a Chicago Industrial Tool Company drill press - 3/4hp, 110v, not sure of chuck size at the moment, 15 speed, handle to change speed on pullys.
Now the restoration part begins.....Im looking for advice on cleaning it up and making it the moving parts move again. It runs fine and there is no wobble in it.
Thinking a good wipe down with acetone to start.....WD-40 and greese to get the table crank working well again.......Thoughts?

Ill post another thread with this one showing a metal attachment of some sort that the guy says belongs with it but he had no idea what it was used for.

Attachments

• Drill Press Label.jpg
    Drill Press Label.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 47
  • Drill Press-9.jpg
    Drill Press-9.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 35
  • Drill Press-8.jpg
    Drill Press-8.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Drill Press-7.jpg
    Drill Press-7.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 37
  • Drill Press-6.jpg
    Drill Press-6.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Drill Press-5.jpg
    Drill Press-5.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Drill Press-4.jpg
    Drill Press-4.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Drill Press-3.jpg
    Drill Press-3.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 57
  • Drill Press-2.jpg
    Drill Press-2.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 48
  • Drill Press-1.jpg
    Drill Press-1.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Attachment added

Here are pictures of the attachment that came with it and not sure what it is...............the screw thru shaft is bent but turns.......

Pictures 1-5 - Attachment unknown
Picture 6 - Lable on press
Picture 7 - Pulleys
Picture 8 - showing handles - frozen .............anybody tell me what they are for ? I think the large one is supposed to change speeds???

Attachments

• attach-5.jpg
    attach-5.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 36
  • attach-4.jpg
    attach-4.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 37
  • attach-3.jpg
    attach-3.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 37
  • attach-2.jpg
    attach-2.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 38
  • attach-1.jpg
    attach-1.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Label.jpg
    Label.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 32
  • Pulleys.jpg
    Pulleys.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 31
  • Handles.jpg
    Handles.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
...handles - frozen .............anybody tell me what they are for ? I think the large one is supposed to change speeds???

Your motor is mounted on a shaft (or shafts) that slide in and out of the main housing to adjust the tension on the drive belt(s).

The small handle is basically a set screw that holds the motor in place after setting the tension. The larger handle moves the motor mount in and out to adjust the tensioon.

To change speeds, you'd first loosen the small handle, the use the large one to slide the motor in and loosen the tension. Then, you'd change the belts to get the speed you want, then turn the larger handle to put tension on the belt(s), and - while holding the larger handle to keep the tension on - tighten the smaller one to keep the tension. This requires both hands at once and can be a bit awkward. BTW, some drill presses have the larger adjusting handle on both sides of the press body, which makes belt adjustment a little bit easier.

On the stuck handles - the larger one shouldn't move until the small one (the 'set screw') is loosened. Use a good penetrating oil - NOT WD40! - to break it free. PB Blaster is a good commercial one, or make your own from a 50/50 mix of acetone and Automatic Transmission fluid (ATF).

Good luck with your restoration.

Jim thanks............that explains what I was wondering on the handles. Also I loosen the handles etc with penetrating oil before I begin the de rusting...............

Good catch. Instead of acetone, I like carburetor cleaner. A lot of carb cleaner, WD-40 and stainless steel wool will go a long way to making that a real user.
I'm impressed by how much of it appears to be made with (seemingly) identical parts to much newer DPs of various makes. I guess once a design is found that is popular it saves money to just keep reusing.
Paint is green and call it a Grizzly. ;)

Wow $50 what a good bargain. Rust will clear with some elbow grease and that will be a fine drill press. Last time i used and saw one similar was back at school.:thumb: I dont think you can go wrong at all.

Thanks for the carb cleaner tip....the 50/50 acetone and trans oil, and steel wool with steel wool...............
Weds ill start the restoring and will take more pics as i go to post.

Still the mystery remains as to what the attachment is in the picture........really puzzling to me.............if you know .... let me know.....:eek: