Another one of my pieces

Alan Trout

Hello All,

This is another one of my pieces. I finished it a few month's back. It is acorn caps in tinted resin with a live oak burl collar in the same tinted resin. It has a CA finish and is about 10 inches tall and 5 inches across.

This is a fairly labor intensive process and I have quite a bit of time invested. I suspect in the 40 hour range. I will do others but need to find the time. This is my busy time of year for my business so work comes before hobbies.

Thanks for looking,

Alan

Attachments

• Blue Vessel 5.jpg
    Blue Vessel 5.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 54
Wow, that's cool-looking Alan. :clap: The colors are very eye-catching, and the form looks sweet. Are the acorn caps glued onto a substrate, or did you just mold a solid resin/acorn blank to start turning from?

Alan this is amazing work. I can't even fathom the amount of hours you have into this piece.

Well Done!

Alan-----------nice looking ......im not real clear how you did it though..............can you explain in more detail ? ...........still very nice the way it turned out

Thanks for all the nice comments, I really appreciate it.

It is a casting. But it could not be cast at one time. This piece was cast probably about 15 times if I remember correctly. I would set a layer of caps in and cast that section kept building till I got to the top. It was cast about 1 inch thick and then turned to finished form. This is cast in polyurethane resin. This is a more expensive resin but also IMHO a more friendly resin to use as it is not nearly as brittle as a polyester resin. If you had a catch with a polyester resin there would be a good chance that the piece would end up in about 1000 pieces. The polyurethane resin also machines more like wood. The form around the outside was poster board and masking tape. Pretty exotic :D

Alan