Curly Maple Vase #3

This curly Maple vase measures 8" high x 5" wide x 1/4" thick. Color is from RIT 'Kelly Green' clothing dye mixed with DNA (denatured alcohol). Sanded to 800 grit and has several coats of wipe-on gloss poly. Will wait for a week or so and then buff.

Curly Maple Vase #3 v1.jpg Curly Maple Vase #3 v2.jpg Curly Maple Vase #3 v3.jpg Curly Maple Vase #3 v4.jpg Curly Maple Vase #3 v5.jpg

As always, your comments, opinions and critiques are welcomed!

Thanks for looking! :wave:

Steve, that's a sweet form, great wood, perfect-looking gloss finish...but the green doesn't really move me. But that's probably just me. I dyed bowl green some time back, and after pondering it a bit, I decided I didn't like it, so I dyed it black instead. (Good ol' black...covers up all manner of dye experiments.) ;)

Out of curiosity, what do you think of the color?

Thanks for the kind words everyone! I do appreciate it!

Vaughn - have to admit that green is not my favorite color - but it is my wife's! Thought about doing a multi-color version but this piece had some color variations and darker heartwood and I wanted that to show through, so, decided to keep it simple.

Larry - once this piece was dyed, found that the heartwood area was a lot harder than expected. It did not absorb the dye very well - even after 2 saturating coats. The entire piece was then sanded back to expose as much curl as possible to create that tiger-eye effect. I tried to sand it equally everywhere. Some portions of it (endgrain) just sucked in the dye - others didn't.

Steve,
I like the piece... green and all... I like the way it shows off the grain. I want to try some pieces like that, but I have either build or buy a steady rest before I can try it... I've done a few flatter hollow forms that don't need so much support, but after about 6 or 7 inches out, I think I need more support.

Your pieces are always an inspiration to try more things...

Very nice piece. I do have a question. You said you mixed it with DNA. Why? What does the DNA have that helps?
Dennis

Dennis - the denatured alcohol evaporates extremely fast compared to water and it doesn't raise the grain as much. It does raise some - but a very light sanding with 320 takes care of it.