Plane totes how to ???

Rob Keeble

Ok so those of you that got to see my plane knob i made during last week, will understand i now need to make a couple of totes.

So got stuck in an cut out two totes to match from 1 inch Mi Chocolate. Got stuck in with the rasps and spokeshave. All nice and shaped and done then go to drill the hole and wham need to start again. Despite best efforts to avoid it the drill came through the side.

Who was it said you can get by with a bench drill. Well not if you put a drill vice under the drill you cant.:( So i made up a wood support specially cut to hold tote at 90 degrees. But still the hole found its way through the side.

Found a site on the web where a guy makes em in batches of 4 but even he said he lost 3 in the drilling.

So i figured to consult the brain trust cause i am right out of ideas right now to avoid a repeat.

One thing i do know is next one will be drilled before i put all that work into it.

Was great though. I surprized myself completely with the shaping. Have you ever done that. Stunned yourself by exceeding your own expectations. Great feeling until you blow out the side with the drill.

Been thinking of using the router and round over bit to speed up the edge shaping after being cut out on the band saw.

So as usual help and advice needed again please along with any tips you might have on making totes for planes.

Rob, I've never made a plane tote, so I'm speaking out my...well...without any experience. ;) Anyway, would it be easier to drill the hole first (while things are still relatively square) then shape around the hole? Also, for something small like a plane tote, I think I'd just stick with rasps and abrasives instead of trying to speed things up with the router. Knowing me, I'd mess something up with the router, and as you discovered, hand-shaping a piece is a lot of fun, and doesn't take all that long. In a production shop I could see using a router, but for one or two homemade totes, I'd go old school.

BTW, I found this guy doing the "drill the hole hole first" approach...

http://www.cornishworkshop.co.uk/planetote.html

yep, drill the hole first, then cut it out on a bandsaw, take your time get close to the line, then rasps are your best friend, files and sandpaper, it does NOT take very long.:thumb:

Thanks Guys. Yeah Vaughn i found the cornish one too. He also had a 3 out of 4 success.

Everything i have found pointed to drilling before any work done, you right there Stu.

Also drilling from both ends to try and counter the wondering effect.

Still i plan to save my first one. A bit of epoxy and sawdust will solve the problem, maybe some of Chuck Thoits coffe grounds too:rofl:

I just thought someone might have had a special technique they developed.

Stu you right again its easier with rasps to do the shaping, i just want to see what happens with the router.:D

By the way for those unaware of it, Lee Valley has these free plans for totes in the Stanley Range

http://www.leevalley.com/us/html/16j4010k.pdf

This is a #No.5 but there are others at the site too. PDF format so you can download if you like.;)

Last edited:
Rob.

I used to make and sell Totes and Knobs to fit most of the Stanley planes, #2 through the #8, along with some specials. I've made litterly hundreds of them. The angles of the hole going through each different model is different. The size of the hole for the brass nut is 7/16" Diameter X 1/2" deep off of the top of the tote or knob. The bottom of the tote or knob, depending on the plane is 9/16" X 1/2" deep. This gives you the clearence for the boss on the plane. Here's some pictures of some that I have made.

Attachments

• Stanley 2-1-K.jpg
    Stanley 2-1-K.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Stanley 5 thru 8-2 Custom.jpg
    Stanley 5 thru 8-2 Custom.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Stanley 5 thru 8 Rosewood 2.jpg
    Stanley 5 thru 8 Rosewood 2.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 16
Thanks for the tips Randy, I found it out the hard way.:D

Got myself the 7/16 forstner bit for the top hole.

Have actually just come in for a cup of tea and to phone my Dad in SA.

Fixed my tote that the drill went off course in and finished sanding it. Got out to the shop early this morning (for once sun was only just up, NN is away has been for 3 weeks :D)

Finished up the second tote for the No. 5 Larry so now both are done sanded and slapped with first coats of poly.

With a bit of luck i can post pics later.

Now its finally off to sharpen everything in sight.:rofl::rofl:

Must say i knocked off the second tote in half the time and learned a few tricks along the way. Made sure to drill the hole like Mike said from both sides.

Also solved the problem of the missing screw. After a hunt around even a call to LV came to conclusion this being a user i aint gonna worry and got my taps out and retapped the hole to 1/4 inch. Then found a nice round head solid brass screw at the local Home Hardware. Solved the problem.:thumb:

Will post a pic or two later. Want to get back to the shop. Gotta clean up early for a bbq at friends place. We got a lovely day here weather wise.:)

Sounds good Rob!

For me, I'd never put poly on a tote, just a bit of wax and I'll let my hands give it a finish, they are tools after all, not museum pieces :rolleyes: :D

Well i will have pics tomorrow. In some ways i fully agree with you Stu, but i wanted to "spruce these babys up just for sentimental reasons. The old ones had a gloss lacquer type coat. Mine at least show the grain of the walnut i used.

Larry for the work involved in making them, the money isn't that great. I used to make them a couple hundred at a time, that's the only way you can make money on them. I still have quite a few totes and knobs, planes and such in different shapes and sizes around here. Probable need to get rid of the whole thing. Anyway found a picture of some totes in progress, not a very good picture, but you can get the idea.

Attachments

• totes.jpg
    totes.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 21
Randy you a better man than me. After making my two:eek: I would never think of doing it for money.:D

Sorry about the pics guys you right it will be monday.

Unfortunately for me and fortunately for a friend of mine, i volunteered to pay it back and help my friend doing a reno at his home. He is a special guy and has plans to do a ton of work thinking it would be done in a day.

Well he has the week but he is more impatient that i can be.:D So i ended up on my knees for the day. Now i can hardly walk.

Carpet being pulled up, rough cut and laid on the basement floor, hardwood floor, painting, crown mouldings and baseboard.

Will spend some time with him tomorrow in between my own work.

So pics will be forthcoming but delayed.:eek:

Larry for the work involved in making them, the money isn't that great. I used to make them a couple hundred at a time, that's the only way you can make money on them. I still have quite a few totes and knobs, planes and such in different shapes and sizes around here. Probable need to get rid of the whole thing. Anyway found a picture of some totes in progress, not a very good picture, but you can get the idea.

Dang Randy...I think after about the 99th one I'd be going nuts. I'd guess then the challenge is not so much making them, but seeing how efficiently you can make them.