garden tractor woes

Just for the heck of it Frank, a while ago you "disabled that annoying automatic cut-off switch on your riding lawnmower" maybe try re plugging it in:dunno:

I agree with Tom---do the mower quit when the cutter deck are not engage

Surging not under a load and dieing with a load sounds like it is starving for fuel or air. Put new air filter and sock on it, make sure the airway to carb isn't plugged. Then go to the float in the carb and check needle valve(s). Also, since it has been running lean or rich, get a new sparkplug in it. It isn't a shotgun approach, just when you do solve the problem, the other parts of the system have been working to compensate.

Surging not under a load and dieing with a load sounds like it is starving for fuel or air. Put new air filter and sock on it, make sure the airway to carb isn't plugged. Then go to the float in the carb and check needle valve(s). Also, since it has been running lean or rich, get a new sparkplug in it. It isn't a shotgun approach, just when you do solve the problem, the other parts of the system have been working to compensate.

Before taking to first fix-it shop I changed: air filters, fuel filter and spark plugs. First shop cleaned the carb. I suspect it is a float or valve problem. We will see. Thanks.

will it be safe to back up the hill to see if it give you trouble ? but do not endanger yourselves when backing -up

Frank, I also asked if you looked past the filter into the air tube going to the carb. Mouse nest? Grass?
Also, if the first shop cleaned the carb. The needle valves and float should have been set. So, are you getting this back with little to no gas in it? If so, check the gas you are putting in it. If your can has rust/dirt/debris in it, then you could be causing the problem. The shaking of riding in/on a trailer has the junk suspended in the gas maybe allowing for a short run time where it works well. At home the gas is still letting the debris fall into the fuel tube to carb causing troubles.