Pass around opportunity, Going to Antonio Martinez'

Package safely in PA! This weekend and next week will be tough to get any shop time. Both boys going back to school next weekend and I have a honey-do list that ...well you know....

Two daughters, at least one got married in the spring this year, the older one is getting married Sept. 5th. So a spring and fall wedding on a year their mother breaks her foot and is off work. Oh and getting married on our farm and it is not a show place for anything other than family love let me tell you.

Two daughters, at least one got married in the spring this year, the older one is getting married Sept. 5th. So a spring and fall wedding on a year their mother breaks her foot and is off work. Oh and getting married on our farm and it is not a show place for anything other than family love let me tell you.

And yet, I bet it's a memory that all involved in will treasure for ever.

My favorite events ever were at my Great Uncle Julius and Uncle Roberts farms. As a city boy I can't tell you how much I appreciated those gentlemen and their hospitality. I'm sure you are probably in their same class...

Finally got shop time today! Boy this is harder than it looks. I took pictures but destroyed the pendant I was trying to make. AARGH. I'll work on it some more over the weekend and ship it out soon.

Don't feel bad, Antonio. We had a few pendants here that didn't survive the ride, either. ;) Light cuts and sharp tools seem to be the key on these.

antonio,, just resit the temptation and go back to the high ground called flat work:) or just chuck up another chuck and spin awaya gain you will soon master it.. there are many here to help you out..:thumb:

Antonio, glad you got it on the lathe and a little time with it. Green/wet wood does NOT stick to the tape. So it has to be DRY wood. If you are having some trouble, try the parting tool with the V shaped angle grind (don't know the correct term, but it messes up the parting tool for parting but does a good job on rolling beads and such). Keep it through the coming week and play my friend. Look forward to seeing whatever it is you make/bounce off of the wall/bang off of the ceiling/boink off of your face mask/and eventually create!!!! :eek::huh::p:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::thumb::thumb:

...Look forward to seeing whatever it is you make/bounce off of the wall/bang off of the ceiling/boink off of your face mask/and eventually create!!!!

Wow, you've been to my shop, too?

:rofl:

Jon, I know he has at least a few dry blanks to play with. There were some from both Glenn and me in the box.

Some lessons learned

Ok, so here is a quick recap of what I learned last night:

1. Need a waste block - in a big way do you need one.

2. Turner's tape works well on small stuff. I saw the thread about using hot glue so I'll try that next session.

3. Sharp tools are a good thing

4. Boy does it wiggle all over the place when off center - I 'knew' it would happen but wasn't prepared for just how much it would walk the lathe. I have 2 lathes - an old Carba-Tec mini and a 1936 Craftsman monstrosity. I put it on the Carba-Tec with an adapter and when I went off center, I had to rethink my decision!

I didn't want to sacrifice any 'good wood' so I cut a piece of 1x3 pine and taped it on. Below are some pictures of the mess I made...

This is after I just started to shape up the block:
2010-09-02173847.jpg

Here I moved to the 1st offset hole and drilled:
2010-09-02174303.jpg

Ok - using the smallest gouge I have (1/4"), I tried to turn out the lanyard hole:
2010-09-02174614.jpg

And here is where everything fell apart - trying to use the offsets:
2010-09-02175216.jpg

SO - tonight I try again using some walnut I have. I want to make coasters using the walnut and it may be easier because I don't have to turn the lanyard hole...or maybe I just need a LOT more practice.

OH - and need to refer back to #1 above :wave:

You're getting there, Antonio. :thumb: I'm sure you'll find that a decent hardwood will be a lot easier to work with than pine...especially when it come to cutting the accents. It's hard enough getting a clean cut in pine under good conditions, let alone when the whole piece is spinning off-center and the lathe is trying to walk across the shop. :D

And you're right about rule #1. The waste block is important and makes rounding the edge easier. I'd suggest using as big of waste block as you can (but it'll still need to be a bit smaller than the piece you're turning, so you can access the edge). The bigger the waste block, the more adhesive surface you have to hold things together.

PM Sent - it's on it's way. You're gonna have way too much fun. I didn't get one successfully made, but it's on my Christmas list and then I can attack it again!:wave: