Follow Along Project - Part 2

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
I have attached my set-up for Sketch-Up and later I will post exactly how I have drawn my project to get just the information I need for the moment.

But for you folks that want to try SketchUp and have some experience with other CAD programs, or just pencils and a drawing board, maybe this will help. Pretty basic stuff, so all you whizzes at SketchUp can yawn and move on. ;)

Part 1

Part 2

Part 2 - Update

Part 3a

Part 3b

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

Attachments

• SketchUp set up.doc
    34.5 KB · Views: 55
Last edited by a moderator:
carol can you save that as pdf? i dont have or use WORD...

I don't have word either just Open Office on Linux and it has a PDF printer as part of the Linux installation. Actually I have Word just not on this system..
Well I am not Carol but try this..

Attachments

• SketchUp_set_up__1_.pdf
    18.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Thanks for the info Carol.

For what its worth, to those that dont have it, i would highly recommend the acquisition of the full version of Adobe Acrobat. I know most have the Adobe reader to read pdf's but Adobe Acrobat as a package when installed allows for add ins into the office suite as well as browsers.

The beauty here is many fold.

1) You can go to a site select text and right click and it will save it to a pdf document. After which if you have a bunch of docs that you wish to combine you can use Acrobat to do that.
2) You can use it with a scanner to scan an item directly into pdf document format.
3) You can use it to create a pdf from a word document and then if you sharing it with someone else do mark ups and add sticky notes.
4) The real big feature is the security you can add to your document such that someone else cannot modify it. This helps a lot in the business sense with contracts etc.

There are tons of uses i find it a very very useful tool and it aint that expensive. I did not buy the latest version when i got mine, i bought a by gone version from a discount seller but its fine for my needs.

BTW your view may be different.:thumb:

Thanks for the info Carol.

For what its worth, to those that dont have it, i would highly recommend the acquisition of the full version of Adobe Acrobat. I know most have the Adobe reader to read pdf's but Adobe Acrobat as a package when installed allows for add ins into the office suite as well as browsers.

The beauty here is many fold.

1) You can go to a site select text and right click and it will save it to a pdf document. After which if you have a bunch of docs that you wish to combine you can use Acrobat to do that.
2) You can use it with a scanner to scan an item directly into pdf document format.
3) You can use it to create a pdf from a word document and then if you sharing it with someone else do mark ups and add sticky notes.
4) The real big feature is the security you can add to your document such that someone else cannot modify it. This helps a lot in the business sense with contracts etc.

There are tons of uses i find it a very very useful tool and it aint that expensive. I did not buy the latest version when i got mine, i bought a by gone version from a discount seller but its fine for my needs.

BTW your view may be different.:thumb:

well carol i got it twice:) steve southwood sent one to me almost sooner than i asked for it and then gary put one up for the rest of us to get so i am set thanks folks for the help.. now rob your mostly right on the pdf ideas but you can edit them and if you have a software to use with them you can edit them alot.. adding security is the only way to stop the changing.. pitstop is my friend:)

...1) You can go to a site select text and right click and it will save it to a pdf document. ...3) You can use it to create a pdf from a word document and then if you sharing it with someone else do mark ups and add sticky notes....

Actually, Rob, you can do that with a free program called CutePDF. It acts like a printer. You 'print' a document or page, and select CutePDF as your 'printer' and is saves what you've 'printed' to a PDF file.

Did I mention it's free? :D

Glad you got it, Larry. But what is 'pitstop" and why is it your friend.

Thanks, Jim. I'll look at that, too.

Also, for you folks who have experience with SketchUp and see some things we might add to the set-up, chime in. Always interested in learning something new.

Pit stop is a pdf editing software that works very well ,,in my business i get many of these pdfs that are all set to go ..yeah right!! then they want me to change this or that..or i need ti fix it so it woill run on the machines i need to put it threw.. so that is why its my friend:D

Thanks, Garry. I have never saved something as a pdf. How do I do that?

I hope you got it, Larry.

Well, depends on your version of Word as the later versions have it built in as a printer type. However, there are several good PDF printers out there as freeware. Google "PDF writer freeware" and you will see several. Download one and install. Then open a doc and select print. In your list of printers, you should see one that says something about PDF. Select it and follow the bouncing ball from there.

Thanks, Chip. Another avenue to follow. And I like free!

So is the synopsis to prefer .pdf attachments as opposed to .doc?

Which brings me to another question. What about a snippet of an Excel file? What do I do there? I'd like to be able to embed it into the text rather than a separate attachment - like a picture.

I will continue to defend Adobe.:rofl::rofl: Oh and Carol it works in Excel too. Can make a pdf of Excel spreadsheet.

When it comes to software you get what you pay for inmho. Although i am a big believer in the open org society.

Carol

If you like free and I sure do there are several options from the simple to the complex. One of the oldest is Ghost Script and all of the helper apps and front ends. /However for most it is way to powerful and complex. You can take vector to Dxf with it.

Some one else mentioned Cute Pdf which is very good. There are online sites that will convert and email the pdf back to you. Cute Pdf I believe will install a pdf printer driver for you which is my favorite. Just print and select the pdf printer, it will ask you for a file name and Bobs you uncle...

All recent versions of linux I have ran have had a default pdf printer driver, but I am not trying to convert anyone to linux. I think even the older versions of Open Office has pdf as one of their save as options, and I thought the Newer versions of Word had that.

For a few hundred dollars you can get the full version of Adobe Acrobat.
Their may be old versions available for less.

:doh::doh::doh::doh:

I should have looked earlier. Garry's posted triggered the ol' brain. I have MS Office 2007 and it's version of Word can save in a .PDF format.

Can't get more free than that! :thumb:

Thanks, Garry, and everybody for enlightening me - again.