Drill Press Switch Question

Dan Mosley

I am having trouble finding another factory switch to restore the drill press i bought......Pictures are of the label and the house switch someone put on it...........the rest is all original...........the symbol on it is CI and below says Industrial tool company............anybody have any ideas on where to look on the web for parts ?????

Attachments

• Drill Press-5.jpg
    Drill Press-5.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 51
  • Label.jpg
    Label.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 53
Dan, it is Asian-made or American-made? If it's Asian, I suspect it's a generic machine (pre-Harbor Freight and Grizzly) and you might have trouble finding any real references for that brand. If it's American, perhaps the guys over at owwm.org might have some ideas.

Thanks ............ill check both places.......ill let you know

Vaughn.........all I can find on it is on the motor it says Chicago Industrial Tool Company......other than the label I posted......but ill look a bit otherwise ill see if a replacement switch will work............thanks

Last edited:
Dan, considering this thread is about the only thing Google found searching for "Chicago Industrial Tool Company" (well, that and placeholder pages for a non-existent manual at an online manual site), I'm guessing it's not old American iron. I'd go with one of the replacement switches along the lines of the one Frank pointed to, and if need be, fabricate a mounting plate out of aluminum or steel.

Dan, considering this thread is about the only thing Google found searching for "Chicago Industrial Tool Company" ...

I wondered about that name, too. Harbor Freight used to sell "Chicago Something-or Other" tools, so I wonder if this might be one of their older models?

Anyway, whether it is or not doesn't matter. If the existing switch cavity is big enough to hold that household switch, it'll probably hold any one of the two-button tool switches from the many different vendors that offer them.

Also, Jet used to sell a replacement part switch that was pretty economical. P/N 994542 if they still carry it.

Last edited:
Your Drill Press looks like my Continental DP 14-500. Downloading the Grizzly manuals and parts list for G7943 and G7944 might be helpful to you. Like Frank suggested look for a switch at Grizzlys too. I found this site by googling "Continental 14-500".
Tom's is the twin of mine. I have been waiting (procrastinating) until I finish putting a stand together before I rebuild it. If anyone has a suggestion on what bearings to use and where to get them I'd be grateful. -Jack

Jack I was just getting ready to post here and say that it does look alot like my drill press.
Dan I would not know where to get a switch but I can get you good close photos of my switchs if you want them.

Tom

Your Drill Press looks like my Continental DP 14-500. Downloading the Grizzly manuals and parts list for G7943 and G7944 might be helpful to you. Like Frank suggested look for a switch at Grizzlys too. I found this site by googling "Continental 14-500".
Tom's is the twin of mine. I have been waiting (procrastinating) until I finish putting a stand together before I rebuild it. If anyone has a suggestion on what bearings to use and where to get them I'd be grateful. -Jack

Jack, welcome to the Family! :wave:

Your bearings, lots of places will carry them, they are not usually expensive and they will be fairly generic. Often the number is right on the bearing, or got to somewhere the sells them, hard to recommend anywhere from over here, but somewhere like >> McMaster Carr << will have what you need.

I just looked an a bearing that is double sealed, for a one inch shaft and has a 1 3/4" outside diameter and is 1/2" thick costs $11.90

I hope this helps!

Update on refinishing the drill press

I had some time today and spent it in the garage degreesing the drill press.......I used the JB stuff, degreesing cleaner and steel wool....when done i wiped it all down with acetone........painted it machine grey.... and then lubed up all the moving parts, shafts etc... with Marvel Miracle oil (I had it on hand) and Lithium greese on the table and adjustable track for the table....soaked the chuck with Marvel oil and it glides now.....
Everthing working fine except the handle that moves the motor because as i was fooling around with it I must have disengaged it on accident.....but I am able to pull the motor and tighten the belts easily until I figure out what I did...........
I went to Elec supply house today, PEP Boys, Home Depot and appliance repair buss........they only had toggle switches.....and I dont want one of those so........Ill order one from Grizzley..............see below

Picture 1 - The switch I liked and it may be over kill but I think it would look the best.....only a couple dollars more.......DESCRIPTION :::This dual voltage, single-phase Switch is rated for 110 volt, 2 HP motors up to 35 amps and 220 volt, 3 HP motors up to 20 amps. Fits basic electrical boxes. Start button feature can be locked out of service.
Picture 6 - is the other one I think will work well................This G8988 "paddle" type switch is a direct replacement for our machines and many others. With its removable safety "key" and large, easy to hit paddle, it is one of the safest switches you can have in your shop. 110/220V, 10 Amps. Mounting Size: 7/8" x 1-1/2"

Anybody think of something else or thoughts on this one ???????

Pictures 2-5 are the press finished except a turn handle for the bed ............and the switch ill have to order

Attachments

• h8238[1].jpg
    h8238[1].jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 16
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Right Side.jpg
    Right Side.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Top.jpg
    Top.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 9
  • g8988[2].jpg
    g8988[2].jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I have one like the dual pushbutton one on my bandsaw. On a drill press I think I'd rather have the paddle switch, since it's easier to turn off in a hurry. My drill press also has the dual pushbuttons, but it's also got an oversized paddle to make hitting the Off switch easier.

Craftsman%20Drill%20Press%2006%20-%20600.jpg

Sorry for the bad quality...this pic was cropped from a much larger shot.

Drill%20Press%20On-Off%20Switch.jpg

I had a situation once where it was very useful to have a panic stop switch on the drill press. ;)

ahhhhh yeah I just decided to order the paddle switch............thanks for the information............ill just use a plate cover and cut out a hole to fit the switch and then attach it over the hole that way I think...........plate cover like what you would use over a single gang box should work......cut the hole out....drill a couple holes to secure to the press and that should work................thanks