Favorite Stanley Type

What is your favorite Stanley type? Not model but the actual type. It seems there are about 20 different. For some reason I get more hyped up here lately when I find a type 17 WW2 than any others. I guess it is the 2 different phases of history combining into one piece.

Steve I like planes but for me i aint a collector. Mine are all users and intended for use. So type dont matter to me much as long as it works:thumb: I have noticed that there if a definite difference in the quality of some of them, but I aint expert enough to be able to be that fussy.

Personally i think its all in how the user tunes them up fusses over them like children and then sets them up for use in their intended manner.

Eg a smoother was not designed to take off chunks, i tried to tell my Dad that when i was 17 and got whacked around the head, but i know i was right today.:D and told him so but from a long way away:rofl::rofl::rofl:

11 or 17 for me. The 11 is pretty much the best of the 'Sweethearts,' and the 17 has the heaviest castings and the most 'body mass.'

I have quite a few of both types. Here are some of the 17s:

DSCN0486 [800x600].jpg

BTW, Rob, I made the totes & knobs for the three in the foreground.

Last edited:
I've mostly focused on type 11's but it has the small adjuster wheel and the larger one is easier to work with. I do like the low knob, though, instead of the high knob.

Mike

I'm with you guys on the Type 17s for sure, but to find a decent one, that someone is willing to ship over here to Japan is hard, thus I'll be filling my shelves with the LV or LN units.

Here ya go, Frank:

http://hyperkitten.com/tools/stanley_bench_plane/type_study.php

The different "types" designate the era in which the plane was built, and the features that were being incorporated during that era. If you read much of anything about old Stanley planes, you'll see that the plane type (as well as model number) is an important designation to many.

Vaughn, I really guessed he was talking about planes. But it wasn't stated. Sometimes my feeble attempts a humor are both too feeble and too subtle. Oh, well. :eek:

Vaughn, I really guessed he was talking about planes. But it wasn't stated. Sometimes my feeble attempts a humor are both too feeble and too subtle. Oh, well. :eek:

Yeah, I realized you probably knew more than were letting on, but still it's info a newbie reading this thread in a couple years might not know. ;)

My favorite "type"

I am a solid follower of Type 11 Corrugated planes. I know there are a lot out there, but I decided this was the "type" for me. I also have a type 16 #6 that I really like for my shooting plane. It just cleaned up so nice for me, it was like it was asking to be a shooting plane.

I would like to try a bedrock, then some Lee Valley Bevel Up models, but right now the type 11's work for me.

I'm pretty fond of my type 13. The sticker makes all the difference! :D

type13010.jpg