Slant top desk

Nice Bob, very nice.

Did you use a set of plans from New Yankee? Looks real close to something ol' Norm has done.

It was from 2 plans. One was Norm's and the other from Woodcraft magazine I think.
I don't know if I was the first person ever to make it from Norm's plans but there were errors in some of his dimensions that caused me to lose a few more of my precious hairs :rofl::rofl:

Rob, The hinges look like butler table hinges but don't have the spring. I don't think that they would work for this application.
The hinges were described as being 1-1/4" wide. They were actually slightly smaller. If I used my 1-1/4" forstner bit the fit would of been too sloppy. I marked out the exact shape, used a 30mm bit, cut the sides on my band saw, used the spindle sander to make a perfect fit.

Thanks for this Bob, this is what i thought you had done because my butler hinges i am trying to use give me a headache the same. I just thought you had an extraordinary inside track on making that template. I have to do the same although i have tried already and might just revert to forstner bit and chisels for speed. I have to cut recesses to allow for the springs and i am trying to bring two pieces of wood together as close as i can get them. This means my pivot has to be in the wood too and balanced.:(

Thanks for this Bob, this is what i thought you had done because my butler hinges i am trying to use give me a headache the same. I just thought you had an extraordinary inside track on making that template. I have to do the same although i have tried already and might just revert to forstner bit and chisels for speed. I have to cut recesses to allow for the springs and i am trying to bring two pieces of wood together as close as i can get them. This means my pivot has to be in the wood too and balanced.:(

rob, make a wooden hinge,, for some close fitting and unique look..

Already got the butler ones.:) They going in regardless. I have been getting more and more carried away on this little project than anything else i have done so the line in the sand has been drawn.:D Thanks for the idea though it will go on the shelf.;)

So far she hasn't noticed it's missing ;)

trust me bob, she knows it's missing...:rofl::rofl::rofl:

good work on the desk! can't wait to see the pie safe, once you get out of the cutting board dog house...:rofl::rofl::rofl:

(you can always make her a new one, tell he you were planning it all along!:D:thumb:)

So far she hasn't noticed it's missing ;)

trust me bob, she knows it's missing...:rofl::rofl::rofl:

good work on the desk! can't wait to see the pie safe, once you get out of the cutting board dog house...:rofl::rofl::rofl:

(you can always make her a new one, tell he you were planning it all along!:D:thumb:)

Also bob we have been told that wood is better for health reasons,, and you were just looking out for her:)