SU Import Images

Aaron Beaver

Here is what I am trying to do easily. I have a large image (jpeg) that is of several other images of various sizes, picture one large image in the middle, then several smaller images around it.

What I am doing is taking the original image and cropping out each individual image and saving them as different files.

Then I am importing them into SU so I can rearrange them as I wish, but my problem comes in scaling. How can I import each image so that it scales correctly to its actual size.

Originally I was measuring the actual distance, drawing a line in SU then scaling the imported image up to that line, but I got to thinking there has to be an easier way.

Any suggestions. Thanks

arron how are you cropping them in photoshop? if so then you could do all your resizing there then save as a composite file and bring it on once. unless you have to have it in sketchup to do your resizing.

arron how are you cropping them in photoshop? if so then you could do all your resizing there then save as a composite file and bring it on once. unless you have to have it in sketchup to do your resizing.

I have just been using Microsoft Office Picture Manager to do the cropping. I do all my cropping of the original image. When I import into SU it makes me either drag the picture to a size or type in a number. I don't have any photo editing type software.

You don't need to worry about using a separate image editor to do this. It can all be done directly in SketchUp.

If I understand what you described, that's probably the easiest way.

Import the images as images. Don't worry about the sizes. Just get them in there. Explode each one and then make it a component. Open each component and use the Tape Measure tool to lay in some guidelines that intersect at points in the image which you know the distance between. You'll need three guidelines. Then with the Tape Measure tool, measure the known length in the image. Make sure you click on the intersections of the guidelines Type the correct length and hit Enter. SU will ask you if you want to resize the active component. Choose Yes. Repeat for the other images. Remember you must open each component for editing before doing this or SU will resize the entire model.