Walnut Oil

I went to a WW club meeting a year or two ago. The speaker said that he used Walnut Oil as a finish on turned bowls, platters, etc.

Since I am almost 85 and the program was a couple years ago I have forgotten the process. I have tried to find it in FWW. However, all I get with a search is stuff about Walnut the wood, walnut stain, table tops, etc. So I am appealing to the kind, kindred spirits who can enlighten me. The finish will be on a, basically, cylindrical shaped form.

Thanks in advance.

Enjoy,

Jim

I bought a bottle at Earth Fare grocery store. I think Fresh Market or other fancy grocery stores probably carry it. I gave about $8 for a 16 oz bottle I think. It will be with in the cooking oil or salad dressing area.

I did look at walmart and publix first and neither one of those carried it.

I have tried walnut oil from the grocery store and have not had good luck with it. It never dried, left an oily ring wherever it sat and developed a strange smell. I was able to re-turn the bowl and got rid of the smell, but decided to try Mahoney's walnut oil finish. It dried and left no oily ring. I now use it mixed with beeswax as my go to utility bowl finish. I recommend Mahoney's instead of grocery store oil.

Walnut Oil Continued

Thanks Guys,

I will return my un-opened grocery store Walnut Oil. Where do you buy Mahoney's Walnut Oil? I will check out Lowe's to see what they have. (Added later: Never mind Mahoney's, I found it at Woodcraft.)

What started this whole routine was the fact that I turned a food thingie. It will probably not come in contact with food---But it might. I want it to be safe. The program I attended said that W.Oil was his choice for food articles and that is why I pursued it.

I think he just rubbed it on, while on the lathe, then buffed it. I don't recall if he diluted it with anything. I don't recall if he waxed it. I was hoping to learn all that stuff.

Perhaps I should have asked a more basic question; how do you treat wood that may come in contact with food?

I love my new lathe. However, I have some definite nostalgia for the one I have for sale.

Thanks again and Enjoy,

Jim

Last edited:
Perhaps I should have asked a more basic question; how do you treat wood that may come in contact with food?

I use a dietary quality mineral oil. Sold in pharmacies as a laxitive. Inexpensive and food safe. Darkens the material somewhat as if it were wet. This is often used for cutting boards and is easily renewed if/when required.

I use a dietary quality mineral oil. Sold in pharmacies as a laxitive. Inexpensive and food safe. Darkens the material somewhat as if it were wet. This is often used for cutting boards and is easily renewed if/when required.

Same here. Mineral oil is my go-to foodware finish.Back when I was making quite a few cutting boards, I used to wonder what the clerk at the drug store was thinking when I'd show up at the register with six bottles of mineral oil. Especially when I'd say something like "Well, this should get things moving again." :rolleyes: :rofl:

Same here. I used to wonder what the clerk at the drug store was thinking when I'd show up at the register with six bottles of mineral oil. Especially when I'd say something like "Well, this should get things moving again." :rolleyes: :rofl:

Shame on you for doing that to some poor unsuspecting clerk who does not know you. On the other hand I would have enjoyed watching that.

Enjoy,

Jim

Walnut Oil (per-say) is not a finish, it is a treatment. I will almost never dry, merely evaporate. On the other hand, What they sell as a Walnut Oil Finish contains some sort of Polymer to Harden and provide a finish.

Mineral Oill is not a finish, again it is absorbed into the wood and evaporates. For a finish I combine Mineral Oil and Paraffin (which will disolve in Mineral Oil or "faster" melt when heated. With a good buffing you can provide a protective finish with the combination.

Mineral Oil also lubricates your skin as well your bowels, so it is useful for tired rough WWer's hands. I use it as a lubrication for honing tools :thumb: it is the right viscosity and works well. Again the cleanup is easy on the hands.

Along the lines of Steve's "funny right there" story, I know where some fellows were camped out and solving world problems over a bottle or few, One fellow had his dose of Mineral before retiring, he left the new bottle on the table, Later as the beverages were being depleted one fellow began shooters of the Oil and complaining of the flatness of the juice. Next morning, Empty bottle were strewn about, including a Mineral Oil bottle... One guy didn't go out fishing all day as he kept trotting back and forth between the Privy and his truck... Now that was funny to see... :rofl:

I can see that I fit right in with woodworkers...I'm a little teched in the head (that's a pun for this thread) also.

If you were not in the Marine Corps or Navy you might not get it...the pun, that is.

Enjoy,

Jim

Hey guys, thanks for the responses.
I guess the gals are just going to leave this one alone.