Kitchen remodel finally started!!! DONE!!!

Tom Niemi

Staff member
Well the day has FINALLY arrived:D. The cabinets are complete and ready for install:thumb: so today was the day to begin the demo. Now my only hope is that is install is faster than the cabinet build:p:rofl::rofl::rofl:. Well here is what happened today. The upper cabs and small pantry were removed and had to extend the bulkheads to accommodate the new upper cabs. Next is to get my brother over and apply a skim coat of plaster over the existing to get rid of the sculpted plaster. We sanded it before the last wall paper but it still needs help to be smooth before the new wall paper.
We had some great help today, we had the great assistance of Larry, Randi and our son in-law. Our son in-law supplied the brawn, Randi carried all the cabs down stairs, Larry pulled the old cabs down and rebuild the bulkheads, and I listened to Larry's wood lists and went to the shop to full his needs to rebuild the bulkheads. All in all we are totally happy with today's progress. Thanks again Larry and Randi your help is so appreciated:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Attachments

• Orig Caps 1 (600 x 450).jpg
    Orig Caps 1 (600 x 450).jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 174
  • Orig Caps 2 (600 x 450).jpg
    Orig Caps 2 (600 x 450).jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 154
  • Cabs coming out 1 (600 x 450).jpg
    Cabs coming out 1 (600 x 450).jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 161
  • Cabs coming out 2 (600 x 450).jpg
    Cabs coming out 2 (600 x 450).jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 147
  • Cabs coming out 3 (600 x 450).jpg
    Cabs coming out 3 (600 x 450).jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 147
  • Demo 2 extended bulkhead 2 (600 x 450).jpg
    Demo 2 extended bulkhead 2 (600 x 450).jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 153
  • Demo extended bulkhead 2 (600 x 450).jpg
    Demo extended bulkhead 2 (600 x 450).jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 146
  • Extended bulkhead 2 framed (600 x 450).jpg
    Extended bulkhead 2 framed (600 x 450).jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 149
  • Extended bulkhead framed (600 x 450).jpg
    Extended bulkhead framed (600 x 450).jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 166
  • LOML recording tearout (600 x 450).jpg
    LOML recording tearout (600 x 450).jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Thank goodness! I was beginning to think I might not live long enough to witness this momentous occasion!:rofl::rofl:

Looks like you had the best help available anywhere! Good for you!:thumb::thumb:

Keep the pics coming!:wave:

Yep the LOML is elated to say the least, actually I am ready to get this behind me and move on to awaiting projects:thumb: Now to schedule the plaster as nothing else can happen till that is done. And Rennie I'll get it done for even you to see as it HAS to be done for the holidays:)

Excellent! Those look like the same type of cabs we replaced at our old house.

And that Larry, whatta helper! :thumb: :thumb: Way to go guys! :thumb:

Yep the LOML is elated to say the least, actually I am ready to get this behind me and move on to awaiting projects:thumb: Now to schedule the plaster as nothing else can happen till that is done. And Rennie I'll get it done for even you to see as it HAS to be done for the holidays:)
In that case, maybe I should stop in some time and take a look.:rolleyes:

Gee, I always start with demo (because it is so fun) and then build. Makes life much more interesting! Plus it makes you really committed to the project.

Well Tom its off to a great start.:thumb: You sure got good help there. Well done all.:clap::clap::thumb: I was wondering what was wrong with the existing cabinets when i saw the picture before i read the post. Are those going to find their way to be shop cabs?

We have bulkheads similar to yours in our kitchen. Why do the builders do that here? Is there something running behind them or is it just to lower the ceiling for the cabinets. I was thinking when i first saw them that if i redo the kitchen in our house one day, then i might take em down. That way one could use the top of the cabinet for more storage (er junk).

Great to have a friend like that just up the road Eh!;)

In that case, maybe I should stop in some time and take a look.:rolleyes:

Rennie, you and your bride are welcome here any time to take a look or just visit:thumb::thumb::thumb: (ANY one else here also:))

I was wondering what was wrong with the existing cabinets when i saw the picture before i read the post. Are those going to find their way to be shop cabs? We have bulkheads similar to yours in our kitchen. Great to have a friend like that just up the road Eh!;)

The old cabs are starting to fall apart, but I will fix an reuse in the laundry and shop. There are some wires in my bulkheads, but we kept them because my wife has a plate collection (50 at present count) that wrap around the kitchen and dining room and they hang on the bulkheads. And YES it is great to have a friends Like Larry and Randi just up the road:thumb: Well at least it is for me, Larry may have a different opinion after the kitchen rebuild is done:p:rofl::rofl::rofl:

nice job so far Tom.:thumb: I really like those plastered ceilings. Havn't seen them since i left PA. Did your bro do them?Always nice to have good friends there to help. Never heard what you call bulkheads called that. We have allways called them soffits.:huh:Again good job and keep the pics coming.
Steve
BTW is there a post showing your cabs that you have made.:dunno:

I envy you Tom with all that help. It's just me doing the work with loml helping were she can. Mainly doing the running around picking up the supplies I need and the cleanup.

I've always known the enclosure above the wall cabinets to be called a furdown. Never heard the term bulkhead or soffit used for that. Back home a bulkhead was the retaining wall you built to keep your water front property from eroding into the water and a soffit was where the roof overhung the wall.
I guess it just depends on what part of the country your from.:type::wave:

Larry is a great help in the kitchen, isn't he? Too bad Bill and Toni couldn't be there. I remember them as great help in the kitchen also. :rofl: :rofl:

Nice job, Tom. Smart lady you married. Get the new cabinets done first. Hopefully the mess in the kitchen will be of short duration, and happiness in the home will reign.

Tom, ofcourse your wife is taking pictures.
this is an EVENT. I was getting worried my eyes would go totally bad and Id never see that gorgeous counter top installed with the new cabinets.

...I've always known the enclosure above the wall cabinets to be called a furdown. Never heard the term bulkhead or soffit used for that. Back home a bulkhead was the retaining wall you built to keep your water front property from eroding into the water and a soffit was where the roof overhung the wall.
I guess it just depends on what part of the country your from.:type::wave:

I'd always heard it called a soffit, but I did a little Googling and it looks like soffit is used to describe the part above kitchen cabinets (among other things) and furdown can describe the same thing, or a similar covering over a duct. Only found one reference to bulkhead, though. Must be a Michigan thing. :p

Looks like we're not the only folks to debate what that's called. These guys also debate the spelling of furdown/furr down/fir down:

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/reports/8290-fur-down-fir-down.html

Looking good Tom. Looks like you have some great help there too. :thumb::thumb: We have the same drop over our cabinets too and when I do our kitchen they are coming out as the new fridge will not accomidate the cabinet and the drop. I had a house once that ran plumbing pipes through the drop. It seems like it was "the" thing to do in the 80's with kitchens as the tops of cabinets have been known as dust collectors. Though with the drops it is a good place to display collector plates. :eek: I have heard them called Bulkheads but not soffits.

Last edited: