Double Gloat

Well, LOML and I are still unpacking (and will be for a while) and he gives me this dusty black box. He says it was a gift to him a long time ago and he's never used it. I have no idea how old it is or anything except it says "heavy duty". It's got one straight bit in it, and some straight and circular guide in the box. Yippee. My first router.

One question: Are the different brands of router bits *different*? If it says carbide, is that sufficient? Which brands should I buy--since they're expensive and I don't want to buy them twice. Only need 2-3.

Then we go to a neighborhood hardware store....not one of the giants, but one here on the Island...that we've decided we LOVE, bought a bunch of screws and bolts and a garden hose, and one thing led to another and VOILA:

oldrouter.jpg

newms.jpg

Makita 1016 10" dual bevel compound miter saw. I told him I'd be thrilled with the single bevel Bosch for half the price and without the stand, but he was just hell-bent on the dual bevel *with* the stand. Who am I to argue? ;) And I give you photos so you know it DID happen. :D:thumb:

Congrats, Cynthia. Both tools (and the stand) are good additions to the tool collection. :thumb:

Regarding your bit question...carbide is indeed better than regular high speed steel (HSS) bits. But there are varying degrees of quality in the carbide bits, and their prices generally reflect that it. Chances are, the one that came with your router is towards the lower end of the list. I think you'll probably find your best prices (and definitely the best selection) online. One place I've dealt with that I think is somewhere in the middle of the pack quality-wise is MLCS. There's another online seller whose name escapes me now, but I know they sell good bits at good prices. I'm sure some of the other guys who've bought more bits than I have will chime in with their recommendations.

Nice score on all fronts Cynthia. :thumb: Carbide are the way to go with the router bits as they will last longer and produce a better cut and finish than the non carbide ones. The non carbide tend to burn the wood more. Router bits come in all shapes and sizes and there is one for almost anything you can imagine. Lee valley have a good selection and quality as does Canadian tire though you have to watch getting the large sets as quality does vary with the pricing. It come back to the old saying you get what you pay for. There are two different sizes bits and this refers to the shaft size. 1/2 and 1/4 . You most likely have the 1/4 collet you might be able to find a 1/2 inch that will fit that. With newer Routers they sometimes come with both. Also (though this will not be an issue on this router as it is your first one) will be the HP. What does it say on the side? Also some bits come with bearings that will help them glide along the wood while they cut and prevent the burning of the wood. Routers are a breed in their own right and here are a few links to get you started that may answer some of your questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPNPiJAriwg

Great story and what a fun trip to the store. I'll chime in on Whiteside bits from Holbren. Brian gives great customer service and I can have him ship me bits to my mailbox cheaper than I can get them anywhere else I have found. I suggest you purchase them as the need comes up versus buying a large set before you know a little better what it is you want to do an how you'll do it.

Very nice gifts there Cynthia. You were treated on the saw, wonder whats behind that thinking???:rofl: Great buy.:thumb: Follow the advice on the router bits. Oh and from personal experience stay away from Canadian tire router bits. They the ones i saw on their way to the dustbin after a careful review of my router stuff following Carols book. As Drew said you get what you pay for. ;) I will second the Whiteside bits.:thumb:

Ijust gave a friend of mine the exact same router. Had it for about 20+ years and was still running great! And nice score on the scms.

As far as router bits I by mine from MLCS if I can wait a few days. If not I go to woodcraft and get the profile I need. Usually its whiteside or freud.