Ash/Oak Dining Chairs

Well I have to agree with you Allen. For the chairs no except for that piece on the bottom in the last picture and some short pieces out of the top one.

First time since I got this camera 2 years ago the battery is to weak to take a picture.:doh: I was going to take a pic of one of our cabinet doors to see if the wormy canals your talking about look like the ones on my doors. They are solid wood but you can see where something bored thru it at one time and it like healed up.

My daughter just bou an expensive heavy oak or maybe ash :dunno: dining room table the top is smooth but it's banded on the edges with4 or 5inch worm hole wood. Looks great.
I'll see if I can get a pic.

well i gotta agree with alan on this one for the chair material allen.. its not what i would use but you need to satisfy your customer not me or alan:) and mark it up to experience.. just like me and the conversion kit i got that wont work

when the guy told me it wasnt good, I should have listened to him. Its only wood I thought.

This is going to set me back a couple of weeks for sure. I dont have time this week or next week to find 8/4 white oak, at a decent price. Im going to start jointing and planing all that 4/4 I have and glue it up. something I tried to avoid since the beginning of the chair build.
Im not spending anymore money on white wood, I have enough to build a house between the ash, maple and oak, birch, and now sycamore.
Hey, would sycamore be strong enough to make rear legs for a chair?

( when someone asks what the chairs are made of, Ill just answer house wood, as in a house wine in a restaurant)

I was looking at build it greens site in queens, seems they have alot of old restaurant and bar chairs for something like 15 bucks each or so if I recall. Maybe Ill just buy some and call it a day.

Last edited:
when the guy told me it wasnt good, I should have listened to him. Its only wood I thought.

This is going to set me back a couple of weeks for sure. I dont have time this week or next week to find 8/4 white oak, at a decent price. Im going to start jointing and planing all that 4/4 I have and glue it up. something I tried to avoid since the beginning of the chair build.
Im not spending anymore money on white wood, I have enough to build a house between the ash, maple and oak, birch, and now sycamore.
Hey, would sycamore be strong enough to make rear legs for a chair?

( when someone asks what the chairs are made of, Ill just answer house wood, as in a house wine in a restaurant)

I was looking at build it greens site in queens, seems they have alot of old restaurant and bar chairs for something like 15 bucks each or so if I recall. Maybe Ill just buy some and call it a day.

Allen, check out new england forest products.

www.neforestproducts.com

If they have what you want at a good price, I can pick it up for you and meet you. I have to go to Yonkers next week.

Last edited:
thanx bob, but Im going to glue up 4/4 to make up enough legs.
I think Im going to be 4-5 legs short.
but if you want to come hang out,IM around tues, wed and thurs during the day next week
want some ash for your fireplace?

thanx to the cool weather, I managed to cut 84 mortises today and 84 tenons, did some other mortises yesterday.(thought Id put in a full day yesterday also, my friends older brother, 59, passed away suddenly, had to go to funeral, scary, sad, hits home when someone is my age bracket)
I put in 8 hours today in the garage, Im just rounding over edges, almost done, tomorrow Ill start sanding some pieces and do some assembly.
theres just so many parts and every part needs to be machined so many ways with each step of the process.
gotta love this stuff, and man I hope my son appreciates this build.

Last edited:
Hey Allen would you please send some of that cool weather down here.

No pics didn't happen!:rofl::rofl:. Just had to say it but some would be nice to see your progress.:wave:

tried to go back out and finish rounding over and start some sanding so I could assemble some parts, but wife threatened me.
Shes keeping a tight leash on me these days.
For your enjoyment Alan, that pile of parts is all the parts besides the rear legs, and the few I pieced together.
kinda hold my breath at first, since I cut and machine something like 72 parts and hope when Im all done they all fit nice and snug or the chairs are finished.
They look a bit wide, but it will be a 16.5 inch cushioned seat inset into the frame. dont know if you can see I cut rabbets out to support the seat, and will put some support blocks also.(you asked for the pics alan. a big mishmosh of ash and white oak, trying to match up the colors for each piece)

pretty simple plain jane chair, Ill add some color with a contemporary pattern on the seat cushion.

Attachments

• bed 635 (Medium).jpg
    bed 635 (Medium).jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 24
  • bed 636 (Medium).jpg
    bed 636 (Medium).jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 23
  • bed 638 (Medium).jpg
    bed 638 (Medium).jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 26
  • bed 639 (Medium).jpg
    bed 639 (Medium).jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 30
  • bed 637 (Medium).jpg
    bed 637 (Medium).jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Oohh aahhh! Pictures:drool:

Don't worry to much about the colors of the wood Allen you seem to have a knack for making it work. It looks terrific. One day I will try a chair.

allen you sure do know how to make a guy feel bad,, i havnt made one chair and your doing these like its nothing to it...i cringe just thinkun about making one let alone six.. you got my attention again my friend:):thumb::thumb:

I really got held up on these with that wormy ash.
I resawed all of it, in hope Id get some of it to use, but maybe ended up using 15 % of it. Resawing is not one of my strong points, but I have a huge stack of resawed wormy damaged ash.
Was going to give it to one of the kids down the block, his dad takes alot of my toss aways for kindling for campfires, dry wood.
But now Im thinking of planing it down to an inch and making a couple or 3 end tables out of it.

I'm another one who's sitting back in amazement. Like Larry, I've never made even one chair, and here you're knocking out six of them like it's nothing. :thumb:

sanded it all down to 120, will sand one final sanding after I have all assembled and need to get excess glue off.
I tried to use a board and use a forstner bit to cut out the front to put a seat in, rounded at edges, didnt work out, I think my smallest forstner isnt small enough. I then switched to a drill bit, drilled out the curve, hand chiselled the rest, as best I could.(yeah, I need alot of practice with a chisel and mallet, alot of practice)
had to work the rear legs quite a bit with sanding, alot of bad spots, I had 2 legs where a piece of the bottom cracked off when I knocked over the entire pile while setting up router table few days back. Im not sure it will really be that noticable, but theres no mistaking these were hand made now:D
wasnt sure if I should clamp up seperate assemblies, or do an entire chair at once, finally decided on doing entire chair at once. this way if I needed to tweak anything, its easier before glue dries.sorry bout the poor picture of chairs.

Attachments

• bed 640 (Medium).jpg
    bed 640 (Medium).jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 21
  • bed 641 (Medium).jpg
    bed 641 (Medium).jpg
    33 KB · Views: 21
  • bed 644 (Medium).jpg
    bed 644 (Medium).jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 22
  • bed 646 (Medium).jpg
    bed 646 (Medium).jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
hey allen for that curve area use a trim router and jig.. look at as rabbet with the template.. make a square that represents your curve clamp in place and router your radius.