Ash/Oak Dining Chairs

4 out of 6 are finished, just need to sit a few days to cure

cushions are done for all six, 2 last chairs were sanded today, Ill bring them in tomorrow for oiling. The other four were oiled twice, 3 days oil was dry, poly'ed, only one coat, and 4 are ready for shipping.(over to the next county)
the fronts where the round cutout on top of the legs, arent noticable at all.
some of the colored wood is noticable, but noone cares.
there are some white spots on the ash where the beetle damage was, I tried crazy gluing it, thought it would darken it up, but thats that.
The back of the seat cushion, thought it would be flush up, but I have a tiny gap, wife says its fine, and Im not ripping out all those staples.
I like these cushions alot better than the ones I made for my chairs.
I like the way they sit in the rabbet and hide the bottom of the sides.
The one rear leg, the one that fell and cracked off, ash leg, nothing I can do except shape and glue another piece of ash onto it. I was told to leave it alone, not sure if I can live with it though.Its easy to see the mish mosh of wood I used, some quartersawn, rift sawn. Some knotty stuff. I used up some oak that I had in short and small pieces. This was not a costly build as far as wood costs. I used alot of small pieces, except for the back legs.

Attachments

• bed 667 (Medium).jpg
    bed 667 (Medium).jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 26
  • bed 669 (Medium).jpg
    bed 669 (Medium).jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 19
  • bed 670 (Medium).jpg
    bed 670 (Medium).jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 18
  • bed 671 (Medium).jpg
    bed 671 (Medium).jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 18
  • bed 674 (Medium).jpg
    bed 674 (Medium).jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 20
  • bed 673 (Medium).jpg
    bed 673 (Medium).jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Well you can ship them to me and make some more. I think they look awesome for being made from so called scraps.:thumb: They look very comfortable.

I think I would rather be building a chair right now than milling the parts for 42 raised panel doors.:eek:

another well done allen:):thumb::thumb: i wouldnt worry about the chip either and the bug hole could be colored but if they are happy dont worry about that either..the seats are real nice and go well with the wood you have..so this puts you at 12 real chairs and several anrondakes right:)

and several anrondakes right:)

last count, Ive put out over 80 adirondack chairs.

(and one rocking chair from wood magazine)

One swinging bench, 24 chairs for outdoor furniture sets, 2 adirondack benches, 4- 6 foot benches for patio furniture,and repaired 3 maple kitchen chairs whos legs were cracked.(my favorite final destinations for all my adirondack chairs, my favorite 3 spots, 86th st Manhattan, philadelphia, jersey shore,(Long beach island), and in that DIY episode where they redid my neighbors deck, my chairs in every opening shot.hehehehe.
Got paid for florida chairs, they never took them, and the latest set went to Lititz, PA, amish area, kind of like that, a jew from long island making adirondack chairs for people in the amish area of PA.Im still waiting for that shot of the chairs on his lawn.

Last edited:
and I bet every time he shows it to someone he says "and my dad built it"

You've done more than put together some furniture. Many congratulations my friend. Ya done good.