Pics follow-up on Walnut Oil

OK here is what all of the big Hru Hru was all about. It was for education for me about food safe finishes.

I did learn a lot from FWW members. I ended up finishing with the “medical mineral oil.” You gotta’ see the pic of the bottle.

From top to bottom:
It made the walnut darker and showed the grain about the same.
The maple became a warmer color with grain more noticeable.
The unknown palate wood was a richer color with slightly more grain showing.
The heavy mahogany base became warmer and richer.

The “Thingie” is an upside down cake holder. It releases the cake from the pan and holds it to cool a bit. The preceding is by a non-cooking male and I hold myself irresponsible for the whole definition. Yes, I did mean “irresponsible.”

Pics show the thingie and an old cake pan in, after it has been baked, position.

The label on the bottle says that it was printed in 1940. The bottle is still three-fourths full. We just have to stop using this stuff so fast---it is what I have been lavishly using on the stropping wheel of my Jet Slow Speed Sharper. I mean using it this fast may force me into banruptcy.

Enjoy, I did. The project kept me up past my bed time the other night. I don’t know where the time went.

Jim

Last edited:
Good stuff, Jim. Your upside down cake holder thingie looks like it works great. Plus, you gain points with the Warden, too. :thumb:

Your mineral oil will still be fine after all these years. It was made before they started putting expiration dates on everything from penicillin to pencils. I love the old bottle. :p

well done jim, and its ok tha you got hooked on the spinny side now you fought a good fight considerun your age and if the cake thinny need holding up in order t get more cakes it was well worth it huh:) but you should be careful of your curfew,, you might in trouble hagin around with vaughn late at night:rofl:

hagin around with vaughn late at night:rofl:

Oh boy the image of these two guys hanging out at night scares me. Vaughn turns while naked, Jim i think will get cold at his age doing the same.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Dont use so much of the mineral oil Jim at this rate you wont have any for Glenn when he gets round to needing some.;)

Nice cake holder btw.:)

...Dont use so much of the mineral oil Jim at this rate you wont have any for Glenn when he gets round to needing some.;)

Yeah, they've been saving that bottle in the medicine cabinet until all the kids grow up. Knowing Glenn, that bottle will be there for a long, long time. :p