Bad backs and woodworking

I cannot do everything I used to do, age is inescapable.
But when the boys graduated from high school and moved on, I had to learn to work alone, especially at chores involving our cattle. There was no more of "hold this", "pull this" or "bring that to me". I became quite resourceful at handling things. Having once worked in a hospital as a physical therapy assistant and teaching body mechanics helped also. I tried to stay very alert to not making moves that might be damaging to my body, especially the back. Jacks, chains, a six foot pry bar and other tools came into play often. Sometimes I would use the truck or tractor to muscle things I thought I "might be able to do myself".
At home and in the shop I still try to behave. I have called friends or hired high school boys to lift things. Sometimes they will earn $10.00 for about two minutes work but it's worth it.
I have 99% sworn off ladders. We spent a large chunk of our savings several years ago for gutters that do not collect leaves and get clogged.
Have to confess, however, I do not exercise like I should. Active as I am, certain parts of the body do not get used enough to stay trim. Can I say 'abdomen' here? ;)
Avoiding injury requires constant awareness of what you are about to do. As one ages, the body breaks easier and heals slower.

Sorry, too neat, has to go.... only minimal dust apparent, obviously staged, Woodworking Poser... I'll be by to pick it up, just PM me with directions, will bring wife to do lifting... :wave:

I actually had my 16 year old clean it up before I took the pic........you got me!

I actually had my 16 year old clean it up before I took the pic........you got me!

Now I know you are a poser.... "had my 16 year old clean it up" anybody knows that 16 yr old and cleanup is an oximoron. Definately Posing :eek:

What you do? Hold the car keys and dangle like a carrot? :D

I have a 19 year old Grandson and mowing the grass costs me $35 no telling what a shopsweep would cost... Now my 6 year grand-daughter, that is another sort... she will clean anything... Just like her MaMaw... :thumb:

Bart, I have once again reached the 200 lb slot. a far cry from 236. my belly is still beyond my belt. I have gotten down to only 5-6 of those drill guages, where did they all go? But the membership cards are useful for spreading glue, just last night I glued a bunch of stuff and the card was the easiest way to spread the goo. Faster than the acid brush.

Last edited:
Now I know you are a poser.... "had my 16 year old clean it up" anybody knows that 16 yr old and cleanup is an oximoron. Definately Posing :eek:

What you do? Hold the car keys and dangle like a carrot? :D

I have a 19 year old Grandson and mowing the grass costs me $35 no telling what a shopsweep would cost... Now my 6 year grand-daughter, that is another sort... she will clean anything... Just like her MaMaw... :thumb:

Bart, I have once again reached the 200 lb slot. a far cry from 236. my belly is still beyond my belt. I have gotten down to only 5-6 of those drill guages, where did they all go? But the membership cards are useful for spreading glue, just last night I glued a bunch of stuff and the card was the easiest way to spread the goo. Faster than the acid brush.

Yup....clean the shop and you can go driving today. Actually her and her friends want to go to the beach down the street tomorrow. But of course no one can go until the chores are done and then inspected by me! Amazing how clean a house can get by teenagers when they want something

For 35 years I worked weekends and had off a few weekdays, and never, refused a relative or friend a favor if they were at work or couldnt be around during the week.
What goes around comes around. Now, when Im not that able to lift heavy things, I always manage to find someone off from work who usually can help me out in a timely manner.

OK since we are off on all of this body moving, lifting etc. I will chip in what I do.
I am not worth dog do unless I get my 17 minutes of stretching very first thing in the morning. It just plain old makes my body move better all day...and that helps my brain work better too...and that helps my whole attitude. Guess that is 17 minutes well spent.

Enjoy,

Jim

OK since we are off on all of this body moving, lifting etc. I will chip in what I do.
I am not worth dog do unless I get my 17 minutes of stretching very first thing in the morning. It just plain old makes my body move better all day...and that helps my brain work better too...and that helps my whole attitude. Guess that is 17 minutes well spent.

Enjoy,

Jim

I'm going to take that as good advice as someone with experience who knows what he's talking about.... :thumb:

Enjoy,

Jim

Based on what I saw when we met, I'd say it's working. :thumb: ;)