Building the cross - Installation complete

I dunno I am with Bob on this. What happened to the motto "If in doubt build it stout".?

I am wandering how much insurance you got.? I still cannot picture what holds the lap joints together in the middle. :dunno:

What i cannot make out is the metal bracket arrangement you have photo above at the start of the post.

I understand french cleat but will span behind the cross? How wide will it be. Will something be around to lock the cleat and then be removeable if they want to remove the whole arrangement.

I am just thinking aloud but what about when someone gets up on steps ladder to clean this all while its hanging there.

You aint convinced me yet the whole this is kosher and not going to come crashing down. Sorry.:eek:

Rob, Post #11 has the answers to most of your questions. (Glued and screwed lap joint, 1/8" thick steel for the bracket holding the Corpus, and the cleats will be screwed together from above to prevent accidental removal.)

The French cleat looks like it's about 3 feet long in this pic:

attachment.php

i gotta say that the cleat is plenty sturdy to hold the cross up..and the glued and screwed joint isnt going anywhere either..and if i got my latin right the corpus is a figurine of the churches leader corect? if so then the metal brackets will hold that well.

Rob,
The cleat is 2" thick has 2 inches of material against the cross and is 4 feet long and like the cross is made of Maple. The corpus is made of fiberglass so compared to the cross it weighs very little so the metal bracket is more then enough to hold it. Once hung I'll have the contractor run a couple of long screw from the top of the cleat into the part on the wall.

Yes Larry, the corpus is a figure of Jesus.

Don how about a better picture of just the cross lap joint. I will be watching ...:lurk: thanks

Rob, here is a picture pf the half lap with the other half not shown for clarity
attachment.php

The lap is 8 inches wide and 4 inches high. The only weight that the joint needs to support is the weight the of the bottom part of the cross and the corpus which together is less then 150 lbs. The 5 foot cross piece is attached directly to the 4 foot cleat and there is where the forces are.
of e

Attachments

• IMG_1648.JPG
    IMG_1648.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 120
Rob, here is a picture pf the half lap with the other half not shown for clarity
attachment.php

The lap is 8 inches wide and 4 inches high. The only weight that the joint needs to support is the weight the of the bottom part of the cross and the corpus which together is less then 150 lbs. The 5 foot cross piece is attached directly to the 4 foot cleat and there is where the forces are.
of e

hey don, why didnt you keep the cross section in one piece?? rather than two pieces like you have just curious???

Larry I needed a finished 10 foot height so the raw material needed to be a 12 footer. There wasn't a 12 foot piece of 8/4 hard maple anywhere in Arizona. I searched for a week.

I bet you could get several pieces no problem once this one is completed.:rofl:

Looking good!:thumb: How did you do the half lap? Did you use a router or a sled on the tablesaw with a dado blade?:wave:

I bet you could get several pieces no problem once this one is completed.:rofl:

Looking good!:thumb: How did you do the half lap? Did you use a router or a sled on the tablesaw with a dado blade?:wave:

Dado blades, I started with the router but it too slow, I have a large dado sled to it wasn't that hard except for the one where the lap is on the end of a 7 1/2 footer. I have a dead man just for this purpose.

Well, I called the contractor on Monday to set up a time to hang the cross figuring that they should be far enough along so I bring it over for them to hang. I get a call back from the Architect in the afternoon saying we have a problem. Turns out that the space where they want to hang it may not be big enough. So I have a meeting this morning with the Architect, General Contractor and the pastor. To top it all off I took the corpus out of the crate and attached the arms to get accurate demensions and the 5 foot corpus is actually 66 inches tall and the arm spread from finger tip to finger tip is 66 inches. SO the cross realy needs to be 6 foot wide x 12 foot tall not the 5 x 10 I built. :eek: Oh well everything else on this build has gone well it is about time something reached out and bit me..:(