Drill Press Switch ????

Dan Mosley

The larger drill press I bought for $50.00 for my wood turning eariler had a household swith on it........(see below). I took everyones advice and bought another switch from Grizzley and it arrived today......(see below)
Question: I do not want to wire this wrong so can somebody tell me what wire goes where ?...............There are 2 black and one yellow and a green wire that was cut laying free inside of it but with the same harness.......???

Attachments

• Switch-1.jpg
    Switch-1.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 43
  • Switch Back-2.jpg
    Switch Back-2.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Switch Back-1.jpg
    Switch Back-1.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 39
  • Open Press.jpg
    Open Press.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Open Press-2.jpg
    Open Press-2.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Looks like a double pole double pole single throw switch, which is pretty common. You'll only be using one half of the switch:

Drill%20Press%20Switch%20Wiring.jpg

Does that make sense?

Vaughn...........Yes and thanks...........hoping to be off work tomm and im going to make a plate for it and attach it.......Thanks and ill post some pics of it completed..........

Finished up the switch problem today and its working perfectly - I used a pc of thick gauge sheet metal I had laying around to make a plate.....cut hole in it for the switch to seat.......ground the edges.......grounded the green wire to the machine and soldiered the wires to the ends as Vaughn suggested.

Ok.....everything was working fine until I was playing with the motor adjusment handle and it must have slipped out of something inside. It was extending the motor and tightening up the belts fine until I pulled it to far back.....now it turns freely..............(see picture #1)
Anybody know how to fix it ?..........suggestions????

Thanks to all that helped in the switch issue I appreciate it

Attachments

• Handle.jpg
    Handle.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Switch-1.jpg
    Switch-1.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Switch-2.jpg
    Switch-2.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Glad to see the switch worked out. :thumb:

I'm not sure, but I suspect the motor adjustment handle is a rack and pinion gear setup. If the motor is moved out as far as it can go, I'd try just pushing it in manually until it won't move any more, then seeing if you can get the gears to engage. (Or if the motor's in all the way, try pulling it out manually and see if the gears catch.) Another possibility (just guessing here) is that the gear at the end of the handle came loose. If that's the case, it's likely got a setscrew can be tightened to fix things. Not sure, though, how you actually get to that part. I've never taken a drill press apart that deep.

Almost for sure the bottom of one of the rods that slid in and out of the drill body have gears on it, like Vaughn said, there is a gear on the end of that handle inside the drill body, most the motor in, wiggle the handle around,and they teeth will engage, and then you are good to go, you might have to do it a couple of times to get the handle where you want it, maybe start with the handle almost horizontal and the bottom of it facing forward, then as you push the motor in, wiggle it and push the handle down, away from you. Should NOT need to be pulled apart :wave:

Great job on the switch too! :thumb:

Thanks ill let you know how it goes.........unable to work on it until weds or thurs............but ill try out what you are suggesting on the handle...........