Drill the hole first

Frank Fusco

Since this is my very first turning project ever, :rolleyes: I can be excused. :eek:
This was going to be a new handle for a skew. Didn't drill the tang hole first. :( Should have. Now, I don't see any way I can successfully drill a straight hole into the end. I'll probably just make a bonker out of this and start over. Only salvation might be to just clamp up in vise and try to hand drill.
BTW, this is apricot wood I got from our drawing at the woodturners club. Hardest dang stuff. :eek: Won't cut/turn smooth. I thought seasoned Bradford Pear was among the hardest wood to turn I had encountered but this is worster. Not like OO or Cocobolo or some of those. They turn OK. This stuff resists. Rest of what I got is going into my scrap heap.
Will find another hunk of wood for next handle. Probably mahogany, maple, walnut, sumptin but not more of this.

Attachments

• handle.jpg
    handle.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 73
what about those donunt looking rings that adjust like a head band from the brain surgeons, frank.. wouldnt that support it well enough to drill a 3 inch hole:huh:

if the wood is that hard,why not use it for mallets

Hi Frank; It looks like it has a tenon or the makings of a tenon on the fat end. I have a Beall Collet Chuck with a 20 mm collet that could drill the hole. Send it to me. What size hole do you require?

Thanks Mack. I have chucks and plenty more wood. Turning a new one is not that big a project, probably less work than packing and shipping. My point is: DRILL THE HOLE FIRST. I just wasn't thinking when I started this.

Wait a minute that is typical Keeble style, :rofl: you copy me? So what is wrong with the Drill Press nowadays. You spinny guys forgotten.

Turn the table on your DP Vertical and clamp to the table with a Irwin bar clamp and bobs your uncle drill away.:D

OK So Ive done it too

When I did this I put a chuck in the tailstock, put the correct size drill in it, placed the wood back on the drive (in its original position), put the drill point in the center hole (hole left the tailstock at original turning), clamped down the tailstock and drilled.

Was this an equivalent to standing in alignment with the TS blade and I blessed with beginner's luck or was it an OK way to do it?

Enjoy,

Jim

...Was this an equivalent to standing in alignment with the TS blade and I blessed with beginner's luck or was it an OK way to do it?...

Nah, as long as your speed was not real fast, then I'd think it's workable. Maybe not ideal, but not likely dangerous if you're being careful. If you're using the spur center at the headstock end, then I'd think the hardest part is keeping that end centered while advancing the tailstock and drill bit into the handle.

I drill my hole last, all you need to do there Frank is round off the end opposite the tennon, remove your tail stock, and stick the rounded end in the hole, then put your drill chuck in the headstock with the right sized drill bit in it, hold the hand up to the drill bit, with the lathe set at about 150 RPM start it up, then feed the tail stock in and drill you hole, it works like a charm, and I've showed you before :D

>> Getting a "Handle" on things <<

:wave:

Wait a minute that is typical Keeble style, :rofl: you copy me? So what is wrong with the Drill Press nowadays. You spinny guys forgotten.

Turn the table on your DP Vertical and clamp to the table with a Irwin bar clamp and bobs your uncle drill away.:D

The "not thinking" part goes all the way back to when I selected my drill press. Thought I was wise and saving space by buying a bench top dp. Not so, same footprint but far less versatility. If I had the money and space I would get a new floor model dp and dedicate this one to certain jobs. Thanks enneyhow. ;)

When I did this I put a chuck in the tailstock, put the correct size drill in it, placed the wood back on the drive (in its original position), put the drill point in the center hole (hole left the tailstock at original turning), clamped down the tailstock and drilled.

Was this an equivalent to standing in alignment with the TS blade and I blessed with beginner's luck or was it an OK way to do it?

Enjoy,

Jim

That would be easy. Might try, but will stand aside. :eek:

I drill my hole last, all you need to do there Frank is round off the end opposite the tennon, remove your tail stock, and stick the rounded end in the hole, then put your drill chuck in the headstock with the right sized drill bit in it, hold the hand up to the drill bit, with the lathe set at about 150 RPM start it up, then feed the tail stock in and drill you hole, it works like a charm, and I've showed you before :D

>> Getting a "Handle" on things <<

:wave:

Interesting approach, backwards from what I woulda thunk up myself. Seeing you other post reminds me, I can't find the length of copper pipe I use for ferrules. Need to buy somemore.

Finished. Tried several chucking things but my tenon wasn't big enough for a proper grip.
Finally, as Paul suggested, I just put in my vice and used a drill. Didn't go perfectly straight but, what the hey?
I know the handle is longer than most skews but I like the extra control. And it can double as a bonker. :rolleyes:
Enneybody want some well dried apricot branches? For turning, this stuff would make good railroad spikes.

Attachments

• handle.jpg
    handle.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 5