Electric Motor

Dan Mooney

I had to replace my Garbage Disposal yesterday as it developed as leak. The motor still runs fine. My question, is this a usable motor for powering tools? It's a 3/4 hp.

Dan

My concern with using this type motor to power something in woodworking is I'd make a guess that it's not rated for constant use. Think about how long a disposer is on for any given use. 5 maybe 10 seconds? Not sure how it would last for something else. Maybe call the 800 number on the tag and ask what it's duty cycle is. If they know. Jim.

My first comment is that Sears actually rated the motor realistically! None of that "Develops 2 horsepower" crap they're so infamous for with their tools. :eek:

Other than that, I'm wondering how you'd get the motor out, and into a usable configuration. Most disposers are direct drive, with the grinder - or whatever they call it - mounted directly to the shaft, and the motor is actually housed within the disposer's chassis.

I've attempted (never sucessfully) to repair a couple old disposals, and found I couldn't easily (if at all) disassemble them.

Duty cycle would also be questionable, as several others have already mentioned.

My first comment is that Sears actually rated the motor realistically! None of that "Develops 2 horsepower" crap they're so infamous for with their tools. :eek:

Jim I had to laugh seeing your comment. I recently completed a survey for a major chain here, and they asked a bunch of questions about what it would take to get me back in the store.

I told them to stop treating all of us like we idiots and offering these great deals in their flyers but with so much fine print you need a lawyer to work out what you getting. Same as Sears horespower claims.:rofl: I guess my survey is going straight to file 13.

Sorry Dan i aint ever seen the garbage disposal units you refering to.

I would say what have you got to loose. If you use the motor for something like say a buffing station, and it burns out well you lost nothing.
Sure would not put it in anything mission critical.