small pen run finished!

Dan Noren

Staff member
since regular income isn't a problem now, i've decided to do a small run of pens for the web site. there will be 40 of them, of purpleheart, teak, bocote, curly maple, mahogany, brazillian cherry, cocobolo, lignum vitae, walnut, and russian olive. i cut and drilled all the blanks last night, and when i have time off again (tonight is night 1 of 5), i will be doing the turning and assembling.

Attachments

• blanks.JPG
    blanks.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
stopped out to rocklers on sunday and picked up an adjustable mandrel. we'll see how it works out. today i glued in all the brass barrells to the blanks.

Attachments

• brass tubes glued in.JPG
    brass tubes glued in.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 13
well ol son, lets just say that after this taste of the nfl thing, with its silent auction, i'd like to have a bit of an inventory built up just in case. you never know about those rich, rabid fans, with money to burn. if someone wins them and only displays them, they might want to see what else is in the box. then again, those that don't win, but like what they see, might want to take a look in the box too. the friend of ours who is helping to organize this will be carrying a bunch of the business cards too. expect the best, anticipate the worst, and you won't be surprised by what does happen.:thumb:

(besides, this could get me off the hook christmas shopping-wise....:rofl:)

well, the first day off has arrived, and my wife let me play all day long!:D:thumb::rofl:

first off, she let me sleep 2 hours longer than i asked for, and then i was off to my dad's, to enter (insert dramatic queue music here), the spinny vortex!!:eek: i got there around one, and set up the run. since it was a touch warm today (92 degrees), i decided that i would take a break after evey 10 blanks. taking into account the ones that cracked and blew up, or just plain old blew up (that's separating violently from the brass tube larry:thumb:), i probably turned more along the line of 50. the pic shows what i wound up with, and tomorrow is assembly day, and buying pop a new faucet for the kitchen sink. unfortunately, like a kid at christmas (or channukkah, or whatever you celebrate), i had to assemble one of them. long day, several hours in the vortex, and one tired and happy ol burro. :D:thumb:

Attachments

• turned blanks.JPG
    turned blanks.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 22
after waking up from a nap to pick up my wife from work, i can only say one thing about turning that many pens in one go round, and that is DON'T!!:eek: it may be just that i'm not used to turning more than 1-6 at any one given time, but i should have listened to me, when i had the idea of 10 per day.:eek: i've got the owies from my shoulders to my hands. the spinny vortex is a painful place, and i didn't see any cookies either....:( so i'm going back to bed now, with 600 mg of advil coursing through me, to help eas me through my bout of macho activity.:)

well, this is another one in the books.:D:thumb: while all was quiet, and wife was asleep:D, i assembled the pens while watching the latest episode of whale bores, with the sea schleppers. now i have to take some close up pics of them for the web site. (shameless pitch there, wasn't it?:rofl:)

Attachments

• first pic.JPG
    first pic.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 18
  • second pic.JPG
    second pic.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 16
we'll find out in october, that's when the taste of the nfl event is being held. i figure if they can't get the purple/gold set then, they may like something else. i still have to take the pics for the web site, and get the paypal scheme settled. my arms are only occasionally reminding me that we shouldn't be doing this again any time soon...:rofl::rofl::rofl: