Random Orbit sanders

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
I need another one. I have 2 PC 6" variable speed jobbies. Nice but heavy. Uses PSA paper. And +$100.

Also have 5" Makita. Uses hook & loop, but noisy, very noisy. Also don't like how it has to be held. Hard on my shoulder and neck.

The PC's are barrel shaped, and much easier for me to use.

Anything good out there for less that $100, quiet and is not shaped like a palm sander? Gotta order paper this next week, so would like to get whatever I am going to get first.

People scoff at me, but I have a low-end Ryobi 5" ROS that has been a real workhorse for me. It has finished a LOT of cutting boards, sometimes running for hours on end. It's also very comfortable to use...it doesn't leave my fingers tingling like some other sanders do. Mine's a model or two older than the current one here:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I found a stepped vacuum hose adaptor that fits into the dust bag port, and secured it with duct tape. Hooked to my shop vac, the dust collection is pretty decent. Dunno if it'd work for you, though, since it is shaped a lot like a palm sander.

For under a hundred bucks - Porter Cable 333. I think the newer (Upgrade, or replacement? Not sure.) model is just over a hundred now, though.

If you've got the bucks, the Festool Rotax - I like the smaller 5" model, but most folks seem to prefer the 6". The dual action features allow either removing a lot of stock quickly, or an excellent finish sanding. Did I mention they're pricey, though?

I got a Dewalt 5 inch and i like it. But i would not recommend it in your case. I agree with Jim take a look at the new PC version. Its supposed be fixing the issues you bring up. Had great reviews in the magazines. I would make em connect one up for me at a local HD before i buy. Otherwise make sure you can return it to where you order it from if by mail.

i have both, pc H&L and bosch H&L the pc tried to die but i resurrected it and the bosch came in because of the ailing pc. the bosch doesnt tingle my hands like the pc does and the newer pc's are shaped like your mentioning..the festool work well but are pricey

I always thought the tingling was supposed to be part of the fun. :rofl:

I have two, one is an ancient inherited Rockwell. The other is a no-name I bought at a garage sale for $3.00. The switch only works on Wednesdays.

Both tingle just fine. ;)

I've got a Ryobi and a Dewalt. I can't tell much difference and like you, the ryobi seems to keep on going and going..

People scoff at me, but I have a low-end Ryobi 5" ROS that has been a real workhorse for me. It has finished a LOT of cutting boards, sometimes running for hours on end. It's also very comfortable to use...it doesn't leave my fingers tingling like some other sanders do. Mine's a model or two older than the current one here:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I found a stepped vacuum hose adaptor that fits into the dust bag port, and secured it with duct tape. Hooked to my shop vac, the dust collection is pretty decent. Dunno if it'd work for you, though, since it is shaped a lot like a palm sander.

I'd guess it look something like this?

ryobisander.jpg

And I never hold mine on the top, I find I usually hold it by the vacuum hose area with the right hand and apply gentle pressure with the left from the top down.

another tingler

I should look at the back of my shelves more often. Nebber know what is liable to turn up. :eek:
I found this sander today. Don't remember ever seeing it before. I'm sure I had it and packed and unpacked when we moved here. :eek:
No doubt it is part of my inherited 'stuff'.
It is a Craftsman and certainly pretty old. It runs like a monster. I could have used it several times but sure will from now on.
Two handles, meaning it tingles both hands at once. Oh, goody-goody. :laugh2:

Attachments

• Craftsman sander.jpg
    Craftsman sander.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 13
I have 3. All H & L. 2 are below bottom of the lines that were Xmas presents from the kids. and one is a top line Craftsman. Can't tell the difference between any of them. And from what I am reading, maybe this is one tool that you can buy and use hard, without spending a lot of cash.....maybe?