Some router advice needed

Dom DiCara

I have a table with a Craftsman 1/4" router attached. I would like to get rail and stile bits for it, but most of them I see are 1/2 inch.

My first observation would be that a 1/4 inch router might be undersized to do this work. This router is a base model "homeowners" edition. Nothing fancy. Just 1 1/2 HP

I guess my question is should I get a 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch adapter, and if I do, will the router handle the amount of material I want to remove. Or should I just keep using mortise and tenon joints like I have been.

MY thoughts are that since I have the router table built now and that I am starting to get back into woodworking, there are a lot of joints that I would like to attempt, but I want to make sure I have the right equipment.

Have to take the LOML grocery shopping, so I will be back later today. Thanks in advance.

I have a table with a Craftsman 1/4" router attached. I would like to get rail and stile bits for it, but most of them I see are 1/2 inch.

My first observation would be that a 1/4 inch router might be undersized to do this work. This router is a base model "homeowners" edition. Nothing fancy. Just 1 1/2 HP

I guess my question is should I get a 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch adapter, and if I do, will the router handle the amount of material I want to remove. Or should I just keep using mortise and tenon joints like I have been.

MY thoughts are that since I have the router table built now and that I am starting to get back into woodworking, there are a lot of joints that I would like to attempt, but I want to make sure I have the right equipment.

Have to take the LOML grocery shopping, so I will be back later today. Thanks in advance.

Sounds to me that it's a good reason to get a new router...:thumb:

depending on your future useage dom, i first of al wouldnt get a adapter to use 1/2"bits in a 1/4" router. there is a reason its made that way, power and safty of both you and the machine. in order to use a rail and stile bit you might be able to get them in a 1/4" shank but i doubt it.. as for a bigger router vrs a shaper well there again it depends on how much you gonna use the machine. my vote for what i feel would best fit you at this time is a bigger router, i have both a shaper and larger router and the router gets alot of my work. as for a production run of work then a shaper will excel, but for small runs and general stuff the router is number one.. you want to get a 2hp to 3.5hp router for the table. many makes and models and the best ones are all matter of opinion. Milwaukee is real good as is Hitachi or Triton or porter cable.

Thanks guys...you are the best. I think a new router might be in my future.

You answered all of my questions....thanks again

A very big + one on what Larry said. That is sure some good advice. Specially the safety aspect of trying to do it on 1/4 inch and low power router when it comes to such large bits.

I would only add Dom that you consider the following when you buy.

• How will you raise and lower. I bought a pc 2 & 1/2 hp which is sold with what i now consider to be "marketing features" for raising and lowering from the table side. It works but the rack that is used on the router to raise and lower is only held in place with two small countersunk screw heads that barely have any thread to grip. So its a constant source of agrivation something you dont want especially on a router table and with a big bit.
  • Buy as good and as big a router as you can afford and dedicate it to the table. I have mine in and out and again ...pain.
  • If you do decide to layout the coin for a lift then you can get away with the router motor only and i know Milwaukee sells these seperate.
Check this thread out where we were debating this with Toni in Spain. There was loads of info from the guys here on brands routers and lifts.

A very big + one on what Larry said. That is sure some good advice. Specially the safety aspect of trying to do it on 1/4 inch and low power router when it comes to such large bits.

I would only add Dom that you consider the following when you buy.

• How will you raise and lower. I bought a pc 2 & 1/2 hp which is sold with what i now consider to be "marketing features" for raising and lowering from the table side. It works but the rack that is used on the router to raise and lower is only held in place with two small countersunk screw heads that barely have any thread to grip. So its a constant source of agrivation something you dont want especially on a router table and with a big bit.
  • Buy as good and as big a router as you can afford and dedicate it to the table. I have mine in and out and again ...pain.
  • If you do decide to layout the coin for a lift then you can get away with the router motor only and i know Milwaukee sells these seperate.
Check this thread out where we were debating this with Toni in Spain. There was loads of info from the guys here on brands routers and lifts.

Thanks Rob.

I am going to go with a one piece.....if I need some light routing, I always have the 1 1/2HP. So I wont have to switch them out. I like the idea of a router lift....still looking into that.

I think I have settled on this one from Hitachi

http://www.reconditionedsales.com/H...ak_HP_Plunge_Router_Single_Speed___i1418.aspx

Everyone here likes this company, so I am going to take everyone's advice. At best, the router might get used 4x a week, and the only long run I can foresee is when I start the kitchen cabs.

Thanks again sir!

Thanks Rob.

I am going to go with a one piece.....if I need some light routing, I always have the 1 1/2HP. So I wont have to switch them out. I like the idea of a router lift....still looking into that.

I think I have settled on this one from Hitachi

http://www.reconditionedsales.com/H...ak_HP_Plunge_Router_Single_Speed___i1418.aspx

Everyone here likes this company, so I am going to take everyone's advice. At best, the router might get used 4x a week, and the only long run I can foresee is when I start the kitchen cabs.

Thanks again sir!

hold it a minute Dom, one thing i forgot to mention is that when running large diameter bits you need to be able to slow down the router, you start swinging raised panel bits and you are in trouble at high speeds they need to tuned down the router you show is single speed which would be to fast for real large bits,, you can get a switch that will give you a variable speed once its hooked up correctly... hope you get this in time.. they used to make a varible speed router which i have a m12v that you can turn down on the router..

hold it a minute Dom, one thing i forgot to mention is that when running large diameter bits you need to be able to slow down the router, you start swinging raised panel bits and you are in trouble at high speeds they need to tuned down the router you show is single speed which would be to fast for real large bits,, you can get a switch that will give you a variable speed once its hooked up correctly... hope you get this in time.. they used to make a varible speed router which i have a m12v that you can turn down on the router..

Got to me in time. I will continue the search...and thanks very much

Okay....I took everyone's advice and did get a router, but not the one I was looking at, the Hitachi. I ended up with a Dewalt.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_102458-70-DW618_4294936478_?productId=3192647&Ntt=router&Ntk=i_products&Ns=p_product_price|0&pl=1&currentURL=/pl_Tools_4294936478__s?Ntk=i_products$rpp=30$Ntt=router$Ns=p_product_price|0

Price was not too bad, $149....and it does have variable speed. I am going to install it today and work with the variable speed setting to get used to it. Also, it comes with both collets, so I can use some of my other bits in the new one.

Thanks again to all that helped me....Your advice was priceless:thumb: