Square D counterfeit breaker recall...

Jim O'Dell

FYI
I found this this week, and just looked at mine. I emailed this picture to the email address in the article. It is possible that 5 of the 8 220 breakers I have may be the bad ones. They are the ones without the yellow Square D logo, but instead have a recessed square area, all black. DSCN2731.jpg I got all my breakers and the box off of Ebay about 5 or 6 years ago. The box and main breaker were in new, sealed SD boxes. The breakers were from 2 different vendors, IIRC, and were listed as used, but in perfect shape and working order. I've not had any issues, but will be a little uneasy until I hear for sure. Just wanted to give those of you with Square D product in your shops or homes a heads up. Jim.

A little update here. Miami Breaker was less than helpful with answers to questions. I finally broke down and emailed Schneider Electric (Square D parent company I think) and got a very quick reply with answers. Basically, they caught Miami Breaker selling the counterfeits. That is why Miami Breaker is handling the recall.
Things to look for: the SD logo on the side of the breaker (have to have out of the breaker box to see it), and the clip where it locks on to the buss bar. Most counterfeits use a silver clip here, SD's is the yellow chromatic color. Hope this helps. My extra breakers are fine. I need to pull the others out of the box to make sure they are ok. Jim.

Chances are they are fine. But it's worth a look at just to be safe. In fact, I may just go do the ones in my shop right now while my wife is teaching some make up lessons. Jim.

edit: Pulled all of mine, they are the real thing.

Last edited: