Fine Cement-working - Cap Stones

glenn bradley

I mentioned in my G0453Z Planer thread that I had coerced a buddy to come by to help me move the beast off the pallet by luring him over to pick up some molds I had made for him.

The molds are for cap stones for a low landscaping wall he has installed. They are about 12" x 24" x 2-1/2". I have to finish a corner version that will tie the 90* runs together. Made me a little money using the shop but not how I normally do . . . thinking outside the box :)

He went home after helping me move the planer and poured the first two stones. These are his pics:

Attachments

• cap-stone-3-web.jpg
    cap-stone-3-web.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 60
  • cap-stone-2-web.jpg
    cap-stone-2-web.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 63
  • cap-stone-1-web.jpg
    cap-stone-1-web.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 63
I forgot to mention. These cap stones are commercially available. When he found out they were $68 each he asked if I could make the molds. He came out wayyyy ahead.

His wife actually makes stained-glass stepping stones so he left the physical construction to here. I believe she (at least) embeds a sheet of expanded metal into the stepping stones. She did something similar to the cap stones due to the length vs. thickness. She uses a generic petroleum jelly as a release.

Glenn....what was the formula he used for the concrete?.....I would be anxious to find out. I bet you saved him a TON of cash. Great edges on the mold.:thumb:

Glenn....what was the formula he used for the concrete?

Sorry, I have no idea. She has been making these things for about a decade. My parents have one from 'way back when' that is still going strong. The mix she uses (usually a 1/3 sack mixer at a time) flows into the tiny detail work around her glasswork. I assume this is what made the edges look so crisp on the cap stones. The credit goes to her.

Sorry, I have no idea. She has been making these things for about a decade. My parents have one from 'way back when' that is still going strong. The mix she uses (usually a 1/3 sack mixer at a time) flows into the tiny detail work around her glasswork. I assume this is what made the edges look so crisp on the cap stones. The credit goes to her.

Thanks Glenn......I might go to the local concrete guy to see what I can find out. If I do I will post his answer for any interested. Thanks again

Thanks Glenn......I might go to the local concrete guy to see what I can find out. If I do I will post his answer for any interested. Thanks again

I got him to send me some info. Here it is pasted directly from the email:

Pre-cut wire mesh or diamond lathe (one or two inches smaller then the
interior of the mold)
We use a large dog food scoop to measure.
The largest metal mixing spoon to mix, drop and tap down concrete mix
into molds.

(1.) First pour/mix (that will be the top of the cap)

* 8 scoops sand (60 grit) (use 50/50 mix of 60grit and 30grit
for a smoother finish)
* 5 scoops cement
* 2 tablespoons color

(2.) Mix well to thick oatmeal (less water = stronger concrete)
(3.) Drop large spoonfuls into well Vaseline, aka petrolatum jellied
mold (mold release agent). Tap down spoonfuls with back of spoon to
fill corners and to level.

(4.) Second pour/mix

* 14 scoops sand (60 grit)
* 7 scoops of white pumice rock
* 7 scoops of cement
* 4 tablespoons of color

(5.) Mix well to thick oatmeal (less water = stronger concrete)
(6.) Drop some of the new mix 2 onto the leveled first mix 1 in the
mold, just enough to hold up the pre-cut wire lathe.
(7.) Place the pre-cut wire lathe into the mold, centered.
(8.) Drop spoonfuls of mix 2 into mold and tap down with back of
spoon to fill corners and to level. Fill to top of mold.
(9.) Using a large hammer, tap table near mold for about ten minutes
to allow air bubbles to come to the top and to settle the concrete.
(9a.) Insert joke about wife's vibrator and car battery here.
(10.) Remove from mold next day. Let the cap finish curing for a few
days. Clean cap up with soapy water. Color will lighten up as it
cures.

He also sent this pic of a couple of them in place, one dry, one still a bit damp:

Attachments

• cap-stones-in-place.jpg
    cap-stones-in-place.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Glenn looking good. Have you thought about using paper faced form ply you can get a better finish on the top of the stones. If you know of any concrete form work in your area they may have some scraps big enough for what you are doing. Light spray of form oil and they will just pop right out. You could also try using some wax paper to get the same effect. It will just get rid of the plywood grain pattern that is left on the concrete.