not a question ,just a lesson:)

larry merlau

well our buddy tom, dropped over for some sanding and when he brought out the two cutting boards he forgot that its nice to have the pieces relatively close in thickness,, well the one board was 1/8 higher on the two strips..well we got out the scrub plane and make short work of the high spots:) tom, said duh why didnt i think of that:) i siad i dont know why didnt yu:D:thumb: so one more time planes came to the rescue and saved alot of machine time.

...well we got out the scrub plane and make short work of the high spots:) tom, said duh why didnt i think of that:) i siad i dont know why didnt yu:D:thumb: so one more time planes came to the rescue and saved alot of machine time.

Yeah, I often prep one side of a severely warped board with a scrub, before putting it thru the 'lectric monster. A well honed #40 or 40½, or even a 'converted' 3 or 4 used diagonally across the grain works very fast.

I can't imagine having to spend days at a time prepping stock with handplanes only, like our forebearers did, though. Guess that's why they had apprentices, eh? :D

we grabbed the no.3 for this job but kinda wished i had grabbed the 5.. it fits better but hey i go ti tdone and still have all my fingers left:) yup preping all the lumber in a piece by hand would make yu one tuff rascal fast..arms of steel soon.

Goofy me, I actually thought of running them thru the thickness planer but they were to wide for mine but for some reason never thought of using a hand plane:dunno: some times I have to think backwards:p:) Yep Larry jumped right in and took care of me again:thumb: I will remember next time:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hand Planes :dunno::dunno::dunno: I think I've seen a picture of one before :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Here ya go, Bob:

Hand Plane

SCHG32.jpg

I'm just here to help. :D

Way to go wise one.:thumb::D;) Now Tom you see what happens to those who forget the ways of the past. You need to come on over to the Neader side for a while you been to close to the electik motors.:rofl::rofl:

Jim i can only agree with you. While i enjoy the planes and planing, i could not imagine doing every board that way today. But i guess they were fitter and I seen pros working on anything and hey a guy that knows his stuff regardless of the trade man they are an absolute pleasure to watch.

When i was involved in the US shopping center business, i got to see a fair number of new malls being built. I always got left behind cause i stopped to watch the guys working. Drywall guys get like artists with that stuff. I could not do the same thing everyday as much as there are times i would love to.:D

Bob just for you...oh and Vaughn that spinny guy with his head in the sky and Tom in case you need reminding what a plane is :)IMG_0367.jpg