Follow Up on Robs Idea

Tied fly cast on a Sierra series tube using Polyester Resin and the Resin Saver mold.
Heated PR in warm water to a consistency of water while stirring in catalyst for 2 minuets.
Removed any air bubbles until gelled and placed in warming chamber for 6 hours to cure and gas-off.

Tube painted with Krylon FUSION White spray paint with 2 Pheasant feathers and2 tied flies attached to the tube.

Completed pen to follow.

Les

xzn04.jpg

I was just admiring you blank, again, and thought, what wouls it look like if you did one and had line attached and swirled around the blank? No feather but the casting line. Just a thought.

Tied Fly Elegant Beauty

With two Almond Church Window pheasant feathers and two #14 tied flies cast in Polyester Resin

The EB kit has Titanium Gold / Black Titanium plating.

Turned, sanded to 400 grit, buffed with fine steel wool and polished with Huts Ultra Gloss.

Great idea Rob!

Les

xzn04.jpg

wu1g02.jpg

xuat4.jpg

mvoy2e.jpg

Last edited:
yup thats gonna sell like hot cakes you better get another lather or put yours on auto pilot and run the new one your self:) sweet pen and definatly alot of options out there now..

:eek::eek: Oh baby that came out better than better fantastic. You brought it to life Les. Thats a sure winner. I knew you could do it. To say you dun good is an understatement of the highest degree.

You DUN GOOD!:thumb:

Now you have a real edge.

Thats a tube you could mass produce. You best get set up if the pen world see that.:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Now you done one we need more with color like the classics .;):D:thumb:

Are we not greedy.:)

Les I dont know if you a fisherman at all but somehow you need to connect to a fly tier. The serious guys not a one or two flies a year guy. Reason being they can give you advice on the feather to match the making of the fly. You might have done it in this one already i aint in the league to be able to tell. But that would just put it over the top if a guy could give you a little of the feather that matches the fly then tie the specific fly to suit your needs and you cast the two together.

Forget the wood or anything else this is a niche second to none. You expose that to the fly fisherman i have known in the corporate world and i can tell you that pen is worth hundreds of $$$$$.
Man my mind boggles at this thinking of some of the big name brands and what they would do with their name/logo on the inside of a pen like that. Price just went up to the 1000's of dollars.

Take a brand like Hardy in the UK this is the brand http://fly.hardyfishing.com/en-us/about-us/ They are by appointment to the Prince of Wales. Now that dont mean squat to me I aint a royalist but to the people that pay $$ this is as good as it gets. Oh i best shut up here. You got me going....:rofl::rofl::rofl: Took the bait hook line and sinker er fly.:rofl::rofl: To say the least you got my heart beating here 10 to the dozen. Remember "hand made is as good as it gets in fly fishing".

Last edited:
Try some midges in size 24-28 hooks, trout flies.

Try some midge flies for trout. they get down to #24-#28 hook sizes. you could put 10-20- of them on your thumb nail.

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19689

Rob,

I found the smallest tied flies I could find, but they are too large for a Sierra series pen blank.
Will have to see if I can get some that are much, much smaller.

Any fly fishermen out there with any ideas?

Les

wlxfzk.jpg

i agree with rob, les this has some very good potential and you might want to look at gettin a copy write or patent on the idea.. i can see the big name fly companys jumping on this product as well...those that have the jing to do this regulary dont scoff at spending some dollars and the fishing shows are more prevalent than the gun shows..:D:thumb::thumb:

Unfortunately patents not possible now. This is the bad side of the internet and developing things out in the open.

By doing it here we have all created what is called prior art in public.:( Best would be to just get going as fast as is possible and get out into the market before anyone else does. Patents aint worth much unless you have the loot to defend them even then its a 50/50 hit miss case that can drag on for years. Been there done that got many T shirts in the process:D:thumb:

May be able to get design protection but you got to consider what its worth. You have no data on market size or demand etc so ?????