Well new Tool but not quiet

Rob Keeble

I was at LV the other week and picked up a real scoop i just could not resist. In fact if this gets the nod here i might pick up another to make a buffing station.

Here is the motor, used but tested selling for $12 in store only.

IMG_0361.jpg

Did not know they carried them but on the way home stopped at the local HW were i had seen the mandrel carried ( could have got it at LV for the same price:() and it was a perfect fit on the shaft. That was my big concern when i saw the motor.

IMG_0362.jpg

So got home and took the honing wheel off my grinder, been wanting to do this since i put it on, you need the grinder to be other way round for the honing wheel to rotate away from you and it makes the darn switch end up on the other side. I felt this had the making of a safety hazard and was not conducive to setting the grinder in place without a lazy susan.

Motor is 110v low on the HP 1/6 th only and slow speed 1725 or 1735.

So what do you guys think will it do and will it do as a buff with a mandrel and pully drive connected.

By the way for the honing wheel i plan on putting a box round the back like Stu has shown here except not exactly the same but something to keep the splatter down.

Comments and suggestions will be very appreciated.

Last edited:
Don't know, Rob. I would look at my tubes of compounds and see what RPM's are suggested. Might even use stepped pulleys in your application. Needs some research.

I use my lathe where the RPM is variable.

Speed is a little high to me, but most hardware stores also carry different sized pulleys and a bench mounted mandrels for reducing the speed if you find it is. The one I have has a mandrel on each end, two bench mounts with bearings in them, and a pulley in the middle. I had a buffer wheel on one side and a leather strop wheel on the other. I think I reduced it down to about 600 rpm which I used for sharping carving chisels.