Pinch Me....

Stuart Ablett

I know this has nothing to do with woodworking, but I really just had to share! :D

Today started out with rain, and more rain, I was really thinking I would not get a ride in, :( then around 3 PM it cleared up, and I could do my deliveries by bike, yeah! :thumb:

In the end, there were few deliveries, so almost no miles, then, I got a call from our once a month customer that lives quite far, and between him and us is a very steep hill valley of sorts, if you can have a valley in a city :huh:

This is one customer that I was still using the scooter for doing the delivery, as he also orders ten 1.8 liter glass bottles of sake, that is a total of 32 Kg/70lbs. :eek:

Eight weeks ago when I started this, I was thinking that "Someday" when I get in a lot better shape and drop a bunch of weight, I'll do this delivery on the bicycle too, but I really thought that was a long way off, well, I'm happy to say, I was wrong! :headbang:

Today, was " Someday" :wave:

fukuyama_delivery.jpg

Here is the bike and trailer ready for the long haul.

The trailer weighs another 20 Kg or so, it was lighter, but then I changed the wheels to ones with brakes and added some other stuff, even the bigger tires and foam mat in the bottom add weight, so really I was dragging about 55Kg/120 lbs behind me............... :huh: :doh:

what am I nuts :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The trip was 5.6 Km/3.5 miles one way, so a total of just over 11 Km/7 miles, I averaged 14.9 Km/h or 9.25 mph, I'm pleased with that to say the least. There is one killer hill on the way there, up, up and up, I clocked it, almost a kilometer long, or almost 1100 yards, it starts out fairly mild and then builds to the upper part is just killer, I really did think that I would have to stop and get off and push, but all I can say is "Thank GOD for my granny gear!" :biker:

By the time I got to the top, I have to admit, I was looking on the ground to see if I'd coughed up a lung, but I made it!! Whoo Whoo!!:laugh2:

This seemed like a very far away goal a short time ago, but I can say that my fitness has improved a lot in the last eight weeks, as well as dropping the 29 pounds. :)

Personal milestone met and passed! :thumb:

Not bad for a fat guy on an old mountain bike I figure!

Pinch me, I'm living a dream :p

I can't find any extra fat to pinch you otherwise I would!!!!:rolleyes::thumb::thumb: Good on you Stu. Milestone? Yah, big one! Now nothing is going to stop you from riding and delivering on that bike!! Congratulations.

Glad to hear Stu! Feels great doesn't it. I started out at 317lbs and have gotten rid of 42 lbs so far. I refuse to say I lost it cause to me that implies your trying to find it again.:thumb: :wave:

Now you need some flames on that bike since your carrying less weight and it can go faster.

Looking good Stu. Keep up the good work. :thumb::thumb: It can be done. here are a couple of pics of my youngest. 9 months apart and he is still working at more. I think he is down to 190 now from 285 lbs. He has inspired me to loose the extra 40 I have been packing around. I have lost 15 so far and you have inspired me to get the ole bike back out and start riding again. :thumb:

Attachments

• Ryan & Tracy wedding 215 - Copy.JPG
    Ryan & Tracy wedding 215 - Copy.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 24
  • James Grad 2010 139 - Copy.JPG
    James Grad 2010 139 - Copy.JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 24