walnut vase ( hollow form)

This is a piece i've been working on at the same time as the big one. When i finally got the big one done i got back to this one. it's 61/2W x5T. thought it turned out pretty nice, but as always would like your opinions and critques. Finished with 6 coats of rattle can laquer, and will buff in a week or so.
Thanks Steve

Attachments

• 004 [800x600].JPG
    004 [800x600].JPG
    138 KB · Views: 34
  • 006 [800x600].JPG
    006 [800x600].JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 007 [800x600].JPG
    007 [800x600].JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 008 [800x600].JPG
    008 [800x600].JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 29
i can say this about the pictures steve that gray T-shirt is a very nice back drop, notice how the shine and grain of your piece show up but dont glare at you.. its the gray soft back ground that helps in the lighting and contrast of the flash that you used..your gettun tha hang of it on the picture taken and it looks like the new tool is doing pretty good for you in the hollowing as well:D:thumb:

i can say this about the pictures steve that gray T-shirt is a very nice back drop, notice how the shine and grain of your piece show up but dont glare at you.. its the gray soft back ground that helps in the lighting and contrast of the flash that you used..your gettun tha hang of it on the picture taken and it looks like the new tool is doing pretty good for you in the hollowing as well:D:thumb:
Thanks. See this old hillybilly does listen and pay attention when he hears good advise.:thumb:

It's very nice, but I think it needs a collar or lid with a finial. I made something with a similar shape a while back, and I couldn't believe the difference once I added a lid with a finial. Someday I'll try a collar, because I like the way they look.

Looks real good, Steve. :thumb: And I agree with Larry...the pics are looking better and better. (So are the turnings, for that matter.) My only critique would be that the top of the vessel seems to flatten out an inch or two away from the opening. I think it would help to have the curve continue smoothly from the shoulder to the lip of the opening. Alan's suggestion of a collar and/or finial could help break up that flatness, though.

It's a nice shape and good chunk of wood:thumb::thumb: I'm in the collar crowd and can't wait to see the buff. This one may look sharper with a little gloss? Normally not a fan of bling shine, but it may work here :huh:

It's very nice, but I think it needs a collar or lid with a finial. I made something with a similar shape a while back, and I couldn't believe the difference once I added a lid with a finial. Someday I'll try a collar, because I like the way they look.
Alan thanks. had just done the large one with a collar so that's the reason for doing this one this way.

Looks real good, Steve. :thumb: And I agree with Larry...the pics are looking better and better. (So are the turnings, for that matter.) My only critique would be that the top of the vessel seems to flatten out an inch or two away from the opening. I think it would help to have the curve continue smoothly from the shoulder to the lip of the opening. Alan's suggestion of a collar and/or finial could help break up that flatness, though.
Thanks much that's the sorta stuff that i need to hear, as it's the only way to get better.:thumb::thumb: Seeing as ya seem to think it needs something else, i'm taking your adavice and will be turning a finial.:) What do ya all think about maybe using holly or maple?

Great piece.
Thanks Wayne.

It's a nice shape and good chunk of wood:thumb::thumb: I'm in the collar crowd and can't wait to see the buff. This one may look sharper with a little gloss? Normally not a fan of bling shine, but it may work here :huh:
Thanks Jim when i get the finial done and the piece buffed will post a new pic.

I like it as is although it will be even nicer after buffing.
Good job!
Thanks Dennis. If some one wants it and don't like the finial i can always take it off and use it for a different one.:D

steve i am not a spinny dude but i think it would look better witha similar coloerd collar and final not a major contrast try to make it blend to gether rather then be added feature.. another words not black and white but black and brown maybe cherry??

Steve i aint as fussy as the rest of them. If we had sound i would include a fox whistle. I think they cool. I can only imagine hollowing out a chunck of wall nut like that. I really need to invest in some new spinny tools.:)

+1 on the pictures though.:thumb:

Steve i aint as fussy as the rest of them. If we had sound i would include a fox whistle. I think they cool. I can only imagine hollowing out a chunck of wall nut like that. I really need to invest in some new spinny tools.:)

+1 on the pictures though.:thumb:
Thanks Rob. i kind of like it when there fussy as it's the only way i learn. Don't have anyone around to teach me so i come here for honest advise.:D

Great looking HF Steve. Really nice form.
Thanks as always Bernie.

Very nice. Got to get myself some hollowing equipment and give it a shot.
thanks also paul. after looking at your lidded box, i can tell you don't need anything but the tools. As it seems you all ready do a super job.