Building the altar- Major problem

Don Baer

Staff member
After I did what finish work I could for today I started on the altar.
attachment.php
I already turned the chalice and the host
attachment.php
and I bleached the host when I did the dove so I just need to gild the chalice. Here are the four legs cut to size and with the tapers cut in them
attachment.php
these are made of 8/4 and are 30" tall and 8" at the bottom 4" at the top. Hopefully I'll get the rest of the base cut tomarrow as well as a second coat of finish on the cross.

Attachments

• Altar Final design.jpg
    Altar Final design.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_1649.JPG
    IMG_1649.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
So will pecan!

Your just crusing along.:thumb:

What was the reason for the bleaching?

Are you going to split the chalice in half to mount it on the front of the altar?:type:

What was the reason for the bleaching?

Are you going to split the chalice in half to mount it on the front of the altar?:type:

I did the bleaching to make the dove and the host white , what else. I didn't want to paint them and felt that paint would cover up the wood grain and not look as good. I was right.

I already have sliced the chalice on the band saw.

Last edited:
I did the bleaching to make the dove and the host white , what else. I didn't want to paint them and felt that paint would cover up the wood grain and not look as good. I was right.

I already have sliced the chalice on the band saw.

I'm getting ready to make a chalice and host plaque. I'm contemplating slicing then taping together with double sided tape and then turning. Did you slice after turning? If so, how did you do it accurately?

I have done the same thing - making the split chalice. I glued two blanks together with a grocery store paper bag between them.

While keeping them together during the turning is one consideration, getting them apart without damage at the end is the other. Don't know that I would use double stick tape. Sometimes harder to get apart, and certainly messier cleaning up after.

With the paper bag, i simply slipped in an Exacto knife and worked is some around the edges. When the paper started to give, I slid in a thin kitchen knife and it separated easily and cleanly.

Just offering my 2 cents.

Yeppers. Without a flat side to rest on, getting a straight and uniform cut with a bandsaw is near impossible.

If the piece is short enough (or your saw tall enough), you could stand it on end upside down to get a flat reference surface. Still, the split before turning idea is probably the best way to go, since that will ensure the split face is flat.

Didn't get as much done today as I wanted. I woke up during the night with a sore shoulder (bursitis). Guess wrestling all that 10 foot 8/4" was a bit to much. Thank goodness I only got a few more to wrestle.

After sanding and putting another coat on the cross I decided that rather then aggravate the shoulder any more I would give it a rest for the day and start doing the mortise and tenion work. Here is a shot of one side dry fitted.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Tomarrow I'll pick up what I hope is the last wood for this project and get the rest of the base cut. knocking off early today, gotta take my Granddaughter to the " Rat Palace" (Chuckie Cheese" for her birthday. Shes 6

Attachments

• IMG_1652.JPG
    IMG_1652.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_1653.JPG
    IMG_1653.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Wow that must be heavy Don. That maple sure looks great in that thickness.:thumb: I was over at my local lumber guy the other day and dont know what has happened to wood prices but up here they gone half mad.:eek: I would hate to price out that wood here.;) I bought a piece of rough sawn pine foot wide and it cost $2.70 a lineal foot. I really gotta find me an Amish wood cutter like Ken.