Building the altar- Major problem

thats a nice shot of a real home work shop, I like the big wheel bike laying next to the clamps and wood.

yeah don, ya gotta have some 6 or 8 foot pipes or connectors laying around.
I hate using those long pipes, Im always banging into them when they are set up, but its the easiest way to clamp long pieces.
Im hoping Ill come across some long pipes in my travels and pick them up for pennies.
looking great so far.(not that as usual anything less than great would be expected)

Last edited:
second side out of the clamps. 34" wide x 36" high 8/4 maple. 50 lbs.

attachment.php

Now I'll sand and oil both end pieces and finish them prior to assembly with the center section. Here are the stretchers for the center section. 6" x 58" 8/4

attachment.php

This will be one heavy piece when done.

Attachments

• IMG_1660.JPG
    IMG_1660.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1661.JPG
    IMG_1661.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 73
Looking good Don:thumb: with the weight of this have you volunteered to move it for monthly dusting:eek::eek::eek::p Going to be a fine looking set when finished:thumb:

I'm gettin paid to build it, dusting it is someone elses problem...

That's how Don makes a run to the BORG! :rofl: :rofl:

One of the pleasures of being a Grandpa is sharing space with the granddaughter..:D

Well it was bound to happen sooner or later. I designed to Altar to have a 3" thick top. I planed on using 12/4 maple for this but it seems that 12/4 maple I cant be had in Arizona. So I decided to use plywood and make a torsion box. I go 2 sheets of 3/4" varier core plywood mitered the edged and joined it together and started finishing it. I put 6 coats of finish on each piece. I was getting ready to put the final coat on the top and I got my son to come to the shop to help me turn it. Well......... he dropped it on the corner.

attachment.php

After I made a few explectives, I assesed the damage. It is unsalvagable so I'll pick up another 2 sheet of 3/4" maple vanier plywood tomarrow and remake it. I have decided to use this top as my new work bench.

Attachments

• IMG_1678.JPG
    IMG_1678.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 61
Ouch. I'm sorry that happened. I do applaud you for making lemonade (re-tasking the top for your workbench) out of the lemons you were handed. Well done.

Well it was bound to happen sooner or later. I designed to Altar to have a 3" thick top. I planed on using 12/4 maple for this but it seems that 12/4 maple I cant be had in Arizona. So I decided to use plywood and make a torsion box. I go 2 sheets of 3/4" varier core plywood mitered the edged and joined it together and started finishing it. I put 6 coats of finish on each piece. I was getting ready to put the final coat on the top and I got my son to come to the shop to help me turn it. Well......... he dropped it on the corner.

attachment.php

After I made a few explectives, I assesed the damage. It is unsalvagable so I'll pick up another 2 sheet of 3/4" maple vanier plywood tomarrow and remake it. I have decided to use this top as my new work bench.

Sorry I almost missed this one Don, another possibility could be just cut away one inch or one and a half and redo only that end. I'm pretty sure that no one will notice that the top is a couple of inches shorter that planned.

Oh boy sorry to hear this Don. I feel for your son how he must have felt. :(

Toni you got a great idea there good lateral thinking.:thumb: Don give it some thought. Toni is right who is going to notice 1.5 inches on top that is custom in the first place.

Don will notice. Not trying to be smart behind, but he has worked his tail off to make all this right. I can't see a short cut now. Never met him, but I think I know him.