3/4" Goose Neck Hollowing tool ??

Dan Mosley

I talked to Randy at Monster today about a 3/4" bar that would fit on the hollowing rig I have from him. He said that Vaughn, Bernie and few others have this goose neck tool already. Also Don Pencil sells the 3/4" goose neck and I can get the adapter from Randy at Monster...........Before I get the bar and adapter I wanted to ask what you think of the bar set up for hollowing ? are you able to go deeper ? does it stay much steadier ? etc ?
let me know what you think ???????? thanks Dan

Dan, I wouldn't say it goes any deeper or runs steadier than the straight bar, but it does make reaching parts of the inside shoulder easier on some forms. For me, it's part of the set that I don't use all the time, but when I do need it, it sure is handy to have available.

Vaughn - ok interesting - because I would think it would be more ridged and take the rotational force a bit easier. When i am hollowing at say 10" or more the goose neck on my hollowing rig gets a bit jumpy/jerky and I assume it because im so far off the rest with the tool. So, I thought that a larger diameter bar (3/4 goose neck) would solve the problem - Kind of like watching some of the videos of guys who turn large deep pc's - they seem to use longer and larger diameter bars for deeper hollowing...........
At the moment I have not had a problem reaching into the shoulders as you mentioned but as I get deeper into a form the whole rig can get a bit jumpy even with lighter cuts and lubrication on the form.

...When i am hollowing at say 10" or more the goose neck on my hollowing rig gets a bit jumpy/jerky and I assume it because im so far off the rest with the tool. So, I thought that a larger diameter bar (3/4 goose neck) would solve the problem - Kind of like watching some of the videos of guys who turn large deep pc's - they seem to use longer and larger diameter bars for deeper hollowing...

What diameter is your straight bar? If you're using something like a 1/2" or 5/8" bar, then yes, the 3/4" bar (gooseneck or not) will allow will be able to go deeper before getting squirrely. But if you're already using a 3/4" straight bar, the gooseneck won't help it be more stable on the deep cuts.

In general, the bigger the diameter the bar, the deeper it can go. You've likely seen Matt Huchinson's posts over on the AAW site talking about hollowing a 5' deep piece. He made himself a 2" diameter boring bar. (C'mon Hutch...show us some pics here, too. :p )

I don't use it a lot, but I have Don Pencil's hollowing system... it was chrome plated the the chrome is chipping off and gets pretty sharp... I've cut my self on the chipped chrome a couple of times... like Vaughn, it does come in handy to reach in side the shoulders of a hollow form... I use it with a scraper bit most of the time.

The diameter (I think ) is 1/2" bar that fits into the hollowing rig HD from Monster (came with the rig) - What I thought from my conversation would be to buy a adapter from Randy that would allow Don Pencils 3/4" swan neck tool to fit onto the hollowing rig. Then, I thought it would be alot more stable in deeper hollowing - Randy thought you and Bernie as a similar setup so I wanted to see if this is worth doing to the hollowing rig...........??
Currently im only using the goose neck that i bought from Randy and it suits most all my hollowing needs so the straight bar I have sitting to the side. I figured with a 3/4" swan neck and having the same versitility I would be able to do 10-12" much more easily.........

and yep.........I have been following Matt's deep hollowing adventure and it is interesting................very talented at making his own bar's

So If you have the same Monster set up like I do (HD) did you use the adapter and attach a 3/4" swan neck to it ??

Dan I have used mine up to 12" deep with little problems. I definitely don't get the vibration from it like I do the 1/2". Like Vaughn said it is really handy around the shoulders and I to don't use it all the time but when needed it sure does come in handy. I can say I wouldn't want to be without it and glad I did buy it.

The diameter (I think ) is 1/2" bar that fits into the hollowing rig HD from Monster (came with the rig) ...

It just occurred to me that the Monster swan neck bar you have might be different from mine. Mine is a 3/4" bar that came with the earlier Captive Hollowing System. I know Randy sells a swan neck bar as an add-on for the Articulated Arm rigs (it's not in the standard package), but I don't know if it's the same as the one I have.

In all your questions about bent bars, I didn't realize you already had one. :doh:

Yeah I have one from Randy but its not 3/4" - He suggested I buy the adapter from him and a 3/4" swan from Don...........stability is what I want............3/4" straight bar would work ok as we talked.......But with the existing swan neck I can do the entire vessel without having to change any bars...........which led me to believe that if i put the adapter on with a 3/4" swan that I would gain a bit more stability when hollowing deep.....with in reason of course...............Dan